netbook

4727   7   1
37 posts
I have a new netbook and I am having trouble using the new Houdini 11 version, how can I download a Houdini 10 version to try?
Staff
5161 posts
If the netbook has integrated Intel graphics, hardware acceleration is not supported. If your netbook is running Windows, you can use Microsoft's old software OpenGL renderer by setting the environment variable

HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE = 1

H10 will have similar issues with integrated Intel graphics.
37 posts
thank you twod, this is new to me, can you tell me exactly how to set this up, it would be appreciated, I have a new Dell Inspiron Duo running Windows 7 home preminum
Staff
5161 posts
In the Windows 7 Control panel, select “System and Security”, then “System”, then “Advanced system settings” in the left-side list. At the bottom of that dialog is a button labeled “Environment Variables”; select that. Click “New…” under System variables, and enter HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE as the name and 1 as the value + OK. Houdini should now run in software GL mode. Please note that software GL isn't very fast, but it should at least allow you to run Houdini.
37 posts
seems to work but I have weird red planes in the middle of the perspective view, never seen that before.. will this fix also possibly work with ver. 11 apprentice?
330 posts
The environment variable is standard across many versions, I expect it would work. Give it a try and see
37 posts
Yes it appears to work just fine, using it in ver 11, thank you for all your help!!!!
37 posts
Yup, it failed after only 10 days so sent it back and bought a HP all in one touchscreen computer. much better for running Houdini.
  • Quick Links