Particle birthrate per point

5827   2   1
127 posts
Is it possible to birth particle based on a point attribute?

I have a couple of points fed into a Source POP, each of these points has a costume birth rate attribute. Now I want to use this attribute, so that each point emits particles based on its own costume birth rate attribute.

Any good solutions to this?
509 posts
Hi,
did you check the birth probability parameter in the SourcePOP? .. I think that's what can do the job for you, set the max probability to the attribute you want to use (or both min and max) and you'd be set.
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
Staff
2540 posts
You can map your attribute in SOPs feeding the Particle Source POP in to Cd using a Point SOP.

The Source POP probability parameters only work with a few default attributes. I use Cd if I must.

Instead of relying on the Source POP to do all the point birthing logic, you can recreate this in SOPs feeding the Source POP. In this scenario, the Source POP is set up to birth whatever points are being fed in to it.

Change the Birth Rate to $NPT or the number of points being fed in to it and birth from points.

Use a Scatter SOP to create the points and inherit your attributes. Follow with a Delete SOP and delete by expression or whatever logic you like and cull the points based on any logic you wish to use.

If you want to control the number of scatter points in the Scatter SOP, you can promote any attribute to a Detail attribute and choose from the options (Average, Median, max, min, etc) and use that single value as a bias in your Scatter SOP:

$MY_ATTRIBUTE * abs(detail(“../attrib_promote1”, “my_bias_attribute”, 0))

The abs() is required as you may have a -ve value.

Infinite amounts of control.

See the attached hip file.

Attachments:
birth_points_from_sops.hip (167.5 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links