AGE & LIFE / COLOR & ALPHA

12690   2   0
114 posts
Hi,

Im trying to create a particle trail that fade off at one end, along with the colour also changing. I im trying to use $AGE or $LIFE with a color pop but even when the alpha is set to 0 the channel still shows white. If someone know how to achieve this please let me know.

Thanks

Attachments:
Particles_Age_Life.hipnc (260.6 KB)

8595 posts
don't use just $AGE in your lookup, because it will repeat itself
$AGE is in seconds
so it grows 0-1 over one second and therefore your ramp is applied over one second
then as your age grows over 1-2 interval, your ramp will repeat itself
so use clamp($AGE, 0, 1) to avoid repeating
but if you want your gradient to be applied over different interval like 0-2 then you can use fit() expression
fit($AGE, 0, 2, 0, 1)
to fit age 0-2 into 0-1 interval and therefore whole ramp will be used
fit() expression automatically clamps to out range so no additional clamp is needed

but I would do this in SOPs since age is still present there and you can tweak it even after the simulation is done
here is an example how

PS: don't use life variance in source POP for this, because your trail will do weird things when suddenly some middle particles die
PS2: you don't need delete SOP to delete particle system since you have ticked Delete Geometry But Keep The Points in Add SOP so it is already deleted

Attachments:
particles_color_by_age_sops.hipnc (360.3 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
114 posts
Wondering on the Colour ramp why is it when you move point 3 towards the end of the ramp, point 4 is always more dominant ? Meaning it doesnt seem to shorten the end colour.

Thanks
  • Quick Links