Limited number of texture while rendering

3236   5   1
137 posts
Hi,

in that example file I cannot render more than 778 textures or so. If you click on a different place in mPlay to force what part is rendered first, then the missings are elsewhere but they are always on the last primitives to be rendered.

I'm looking for a parameter or something that would limit the number of texture to be access during a render.

You can reproduce the problem from the attached file. First generate the random textures and if you set in to an other path, change the path in the Inline Python Sop.

I'd bet a 5$ that it's not doing it on Linux but I cannot test it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Francois

Attachments:
debug_tex_limit_v01.hip (135.4 KB)
tex_limit2.jpg (92.4 KB)
tex_limit.jpg (92.0 KB)

1908 posts
Yeah it seems to be fine on linux. Cranked it up to ~2000 textures and no problems for me.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
137 posts
Cool, so you owe me five

I wanted to test it at home but I don't have a commercial version here and it seems that the Inline Python is not available.

Thanks
1908 posts
It should work fine using the NC version. Inline Python is from here: http://www.houdinitoolbox.com/houdini.php?asset=6 [houdinitoolbox.com]
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
137 posts
Very funny. I started to use H11 only since I'm at the current contract and it never came to my mind that it was a third party tool.

It's a sign you designed it well and that it should ship with Houdini

Anyway, thanks because I use that all the time since two weeks.

I will report it as a bug since it seems to be just a Windows problem.

François
137 posts
SideFx told me there's an environment variable we can set to make sure Houdini doesn't try to open more than what the OS can do.

If I set the following then it works.
HOUDINI_RAT_FILES = 500

Francois
  • Quick Links