portal light question?

4633   3   1
95 posts
So I set up one portal light to shine through both windows, instead of having 2 separate ones for each window. I'm using the bedroom scene from 3drender.com. I took the back window openings, and polycaped them. Next i extracted the polycaped faces, and grouped them together. I then used this group as the source for the portal light. I notice when i render it out that the left window is much brighter than the right. Is this normal? I would post my hip file but its pretty large due to all the geometry. The light intensity is set to 10, and there is GI, as well as the gamma is at 2.2. Any help would greatly be appreciated

Attachments:
room_test_render.png (1.4 MB)

Staff
2540 posts
Without seeing your setup it will be difficult.

It is curious that one window casing is brighter than the other. I wonder where the key light (sun) is in the HDR image. Could be a simple case of incident light reflecting brighter on one surface than the other.

Try rotating your environment around a bit to see if this makes a difference.
There's at least one school like the old school!
95 posts
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply I solved the issue. The problem was that the one window had extra faces selected by mistake instead of just the back panel. So the portal light was showing through those extra faces on top of the main window opening. Thus making it brighter. Thanks for your help again
Staff
2540 posts
Good to know for next time.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links