Mplay troubles on Linux

5572   9   1
160 posts
1. clean install OpenSUSE 11.4 - x64 (one difference - ext4 FS. I have never use that before)
2. clean install Houdini 11..0.733 - x64

try to create some animation and “flipbook” - 2 black MPLAY windows and in console:
Warning: invalid .mplay_lock file detected

2 times.
- - -
When i try to render (render node with output to “ip”)

mantra: Could not open imager
- - -
ok. i try to start Mplay as “listen”
the same result.

What can be wrong ?
Firewall is disabled.
Internet is working.

I have never seen that error before. Some ideas ? (Searching give me only same errors on Windows)
Staff
5158 posts
Try deleting any .mplay_lock or .flipbook_lock files you find in $HOME/houdini11.0. They will have a .<hostname> extension on them.
160 posts
there no such files in $HOME/houdini11.0 dir..
I try to move houdini11.0 dir to another location (when houdini is launched) and start render again - the same result. And no any “lock” files in my $HOME dir - (only skype lock)

Sorry but i will try to reinstall OpenSUSE 11.4 back to 11.2 - because 11.2 was worked for a long time without problems. (and ext4 -> to ext3)
160 posts
After installation all work nice. But after total update - is not
I think i need to check all updates..
Staff
5158 posts
In Houdini's textport, does ‘echo $HOME’ give you the path to your home directory? And do you have permissions to write to $HOME and $HOME/houdini11.0?
160 posts
$HOME is displayed correct.

I have found the way.
it was a NVIDIA driver problem. I don't know how it linked but after NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-270.41.19.run - Mplay is stop working. When i back to NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.44.run - all work nice.

Thanks.
Staff
5158 posts
Ah. I have heard some bad things [opengl.org] about the new 270 drivers, especially regarding FBOs, which MPlay and Houdini both use. Why Houdini works and MPlay doesn't is a bit of a mystery.
4140 posts
FWIW I'm using 270.41.06 on an FX card and have no troubles. Thanks for the heads up, though, either the card is related or something happened between my and that upgrade that rattled the monkey's cage…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
160 posts
JColdrick
I have to tried 270.41.06 few minutes ago - and Mplay work correctly.
But when i again install 270.41.19 - Mplay is again run with “blind” error.

I think that more than 270.41.06 update - is not necessary. As always with Nvidia linux drivers - the “new and last” not means good)

My card - 9800 GT.
Staff
5158 posts
This has been fixed in 11.0.765. Strangely, it wasn't a graphics problem at all, but a change in the Nvidia driver IO exposed an issue in MPlay's networking code.
  • Quick Links