Extrusion Methodology-Queries and problems

3254   2   0
29 posts
Guys,
I have a doubt with respect to a extrusion method. I have to extrude a tower of (15mx15m) for a height of 100 m with 4m as each floor height. The usual method which i adopt in doing this is to extrude the tower for a height of 4m (one floor) using poly extrude node and duplicate it with number of copies as 25 by the duplicate node to reach 100m.

This time around i was not able to adopt this method as i have to relate the primitives in a particular manner with some other node for which the above described procedure is not working. Hence i used a polyextrude node and keyed in 100m as the extrusion height and used the divide node to divide the polygon in to the desired number of floor which i wanted. I am facing a few problems with respect to the divide node. I used bricker polygons option in the particular node to divide my polygon, but the bricker polygon works only if i key in all the three values in x, y and z, if i am keying in “0” for x and z ,“4” (the desired number of divisions) in y the bricker polygons are not working. Right now i have just keyed in a higher value like “25” for x and z so that the number is too high for it to work on the model , “4” for y and hence i am getting the desired results on the screen. But i guess this is not the right way to do it, and i will be linking this model with one another software and i guess there will be inter operability problems if i proceed in this way. Is there a way to sort out this issue like make the bricker polygons work even when I key in “0” for x and z ,“4” for y. Or is there any other SOP node which can be used for this purpose. I even tried polysplit node but i am not able to divide the polygon equally by it, tht node is more of sketching and dividing the polygon. I have attached my test file for your reference.

Regards,
nittin

Attachments:
test.hipnc (45.6 KB)

150 posts
Hi nittin,
if you are going to extrude your grid inside of Houdini you could just use the subdivision parameter inside the Extrude SOP.

Another option would be the clip node which cuts the geometry along a straight line. That could be repeated several times with a for each node.

I've extended your example file with those possibilities. Hope that's what you're looking for.

-dennis

Attachments:
test.hipnc (60.8 KB)

Technical Reel 2015 [vimeo.com]
29 posts
Hi dennis.weil,
Thanks u so much. I guess i can adopt both the methodology suggested by u. Since i am not importing the model frm elsewhere both these methodology works for me. I will later export this model to another software.Thanks a lot

Reagrds,
nittin
  • Quick Links