kill render in hscript without closing

4951   6   0
412 posts
how may i interupt/kill a render sent from hscript without closing it?

if i'm rendering to mplay, i can just use the esc hotkey to kill it which gets sent back to hscript, but what if i am rendering to file (or a series of files)?

i realize that break will pause the rendering and ctrl-break will close hscript all together, but i want to be able to kill it without closing hscript (so i can resave file, make param adjustments, send off another render, etc)…

running windows, 6.1.208..

thanks,
dave
Dave Quirus
1631 posts
Hey Dave,

Unfortunately, there's no way to kill rendering of multiple frames. If it's one frame to disk, then use the Task Manager.

I would recommend using a render script if you want to render multiple frames.

Cheers!
steven
412 posts
ok, thanks steven..
Dave Quirus
Staff
2591 posts
deecue
how may i interupt/kill a render sent from hscript without closing it?

if i'm rendering to mplay, i can just use the esc hotkey to kill it which gets sent back to hscript, but what if i am rendering to file (or a series of files)?

i realize that break will pause the rendering and ctrl-break will close hscript all together, but i want to be able to kill it without closing hscript (so i can resave file, make param adjustments, send off another render, etc)…

running windows, 6.1.208..

thanks,
dave

If you're rendering a single frame in the background, you can use the hscript commands “rps” and “rkill”. Type
hscript-> help rps
hscript-> help rkill
412 posts
thanks mark, i was aware if rkill but not rps.. very good to know 8)

looks like a render script will have to do for multiple frames though..

thanks again..
Dave Quirus
7 posts
I've found that you can use the Task Manager in windows to kill a render sequence. Ctl-Alt_del , choose task Manager, go to the processes tab, find the mantra process, and End Task. One problem is there's no way to identify the rener process in the Task Manager, so if you have more than one render going and only want to kill one, you're out of luck.
412 posts
this is true… i can kill it there..i actually like the ctrl-shift-esc method…(many people don't seem to know about that one) :wink:

it becomes an issue sometimes because it keeps running another mantra for every frame and takes a good number of times to catch up with it for faster renders.. and also doesn't work out for multi-host rendering (atleast i would not think).. or like you said, multiple renders at once. but is still an option..

would be kinda nice to stop it in hscript somehow kind of like how houdini has the interupt button when rendering…

thanks
Dave Quirus
  • Quick Links