why does a very stiff cloth not slow down a RBD object?

4314   4   2
17 posts
hey guys,

quick question really.

I'm currently trying to achieve the effect of a metal plane being dented and eventually punctured as a RBD object gets thrown at it. Ive managed to get it to puncture because making it tearable does this easily as the RBD objects just goes straight through. However, when i just want it to dent, if i drop a RBD object on top of a cloth plane with stiffnes turned up very high, the object just keeps dropping and the plane just keeps bending to accomodate it giving very ugly results.

can anyone give me a solution that will cause the deforming of the cloth to slow down the dropping RBD object and eventually bring it to a hault?

Many thanks,

Chris
349 posts
Try changing the default mass for the RBD object. 1000 mass units is a LOT. Even high cloth strengths would find it hard.
691 posts
Currently cloth can't have a two way relation with a RBD, I recommend you to convert your RBD to a cloth object with very high stiffness.
Feel The Knowledge, Kiss The Goat!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandroecheverry [linkedin.com]
http://vimeo.com/lordpazuzu/videos [vimeo.com]
17 posts
ah, thank you

it's working! however a bit too well, when i drop a stiff sphere on top of a stiff plane they just bounce off each other without deforming. im guessing the problem is the sphere isnt going fast enough so my next question is how do i give the cloth object a vector? in the masterclass on crumpling it's done by just adding a createattribute nude, turning it into a vector and giving it a value…however when i try to replicate this it does nothing. anyone know what im doing wrong?

thanks!
696 posts
You must enable plastic deformations in the Cloth solver and then play with the plastic deformation attributes in the cloth object to get the desired effect.
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
  • Quick Links