make a game in 48 hours

2931   1   2
194 posts
A 48 hour game making competition called ludumdare just started a few moments ago.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ [ludumdare.com]

I've been making a game for class at SMC for the past couple of weeks in houdini. (mostly as per hiptricks vol4)

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to try the same techniques in 48 hours to make another game for this competition.

I thought it would be even MORE fun if some other people were doing the competition in houdini, too!

So what do you say?

The theme is “Alone”

~Maitland
140 posts
This is an excellent idea, and a great place to show off the sheer amount of material you can generate in a very short time using Houdini.

The difficulty currently is getting the content into the game engine if you're using HD or Apprentice. Unless you have FBX export support, or a houdini geo reader on the engine/editor side, you'll be limited by what you can shove into a .obj file.

If you're using Escape or Master, that's not a problem, and all you need to do is make sure you're using FBX export so you can do multiple UV sets.

The best way to do it would be to have a lot of game-ready tools set up as HDA's so that when it comes time to actually enter the competition, you can spend the 48 hours most efficiently.
  • Quick Links