can't create DA with ForEach CHOP

4076   10   2
66 posts
I want to make a digital asset with chop network inside it. There is a ForEach CHOP in this chop network. Inside ForEach CHOP there is Foreach_Iteration. I can't change Export Prefix on that CHOP, cause it is inactive (and other params too).
When I'm trying to create DA, it says /obj/../foreach1/Foreach_Iterarion is outside the network being saved. HOW I can change parameters on Foreach_Iteration CHOP (or make them active) to create a DA ?
Staff
2540 posts
ForEach SOP using the “Each Number” range option.

VEX is all about SIMDI execution of data. One point at a time.

If you really need to do this in VOPs, then the best approach is to construct a point cloud to iterate over several times but even that won't be nearly as efficient as using a trivial ForEach SOP.

>>> Sorry for the confusion. Yes you said CHOP…
Edited by - March 26, 2012 14:38:45

Attachments:
smooth_operation_foreach_sop.hipnc (4.7 MB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
66 posts
I need CHOP, not SOP. All is working good. BUT I can't create HDA cause of inactive parameters inside ForEach CHOP (NOT SOP). All parameters on Foreach_Iteration are INACTIVE. I need to remove absloute path from Foreach_Iteration CHOP to build HDA, but i can't (cause it is inactive)
66 posts
I want to say, I need somehow to unlock Foreach_Iteration asset
66 posts
I mean I need permission to modify the HDA
330 posts
morzh
I want to make a digital asset with chop network inside it. There is a ForEach CHOP in this chop network. Inside ForEach CHOP there is Foreach_Iteration. I can't change Export Prefix on that CHOP, cause it is inactive (and other params too).
When I'm trying to create DA, it says /obj/../foreach1/Foreach_Iterarion is outside the network being saved. HOW I can change parameters on Foreach_Iteration CHOP (or make them active) to create a DA ?

hi ,

just reading from your first post ..

maybe it is better to keep all you references in expressions relative and within your DA .

a path starting with /obj is an absolute one .

i could be wrong ..
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
Staff
2540 posts
OK.
Head screwed on correctly and again sorry about the mistake above.

I had a forum post last week where I commented on the use of opls -al to do a long listing on a node and that you could change permissions on nodes.

Well guess what? That is exactly what is happening with the For SOP inside the ForEach SOP.

You can query the state of the nodes inside the ForEach SOP in a textport:

-> cd /obj/geo1/chopnet1/foreach1
-> opls -al
-r–e-cs Foreach_Iteration Apr 1 16:17 Jeff
d—e— Output Mar 26 14:27 Jeff
—-e— jiggle1 Mar 26 14:29 Omid
—-e— jiggle2 Mar 26 14:30 Omid

As you can see, the read, write and execute permissions for this node have been turned off.

To enable this SOP to be edited, in the textport type:
-> opchmod 777 Foreach_Iteration

now confirm with:
-> opls -al
-r–e-cs Foreach_Iteration Apr 1 16:41 Jeff

Make your change in your asset and test that it works. In this case, change the Export Prefix from ../../../.. to ../.. or make it blank. That should do it.

Finally to lock the node back up (as it was intended to as you really shouldn't edit it), do a:
-> opchmod 000 Foreach_Iteration
and a final check:
-> opls -al
-r–e-cs Foreach_Iteration Apr 1 17:05 Jeff

As I mentioned last week, this catches out even hard core Houdini users and is a great technique to make a node non-editable upon delivery to the end user. I use this technique in my HDA's as it works like a charm.
There's at least one school like the old school!
66 posts
THANK YOU, Jeff !!! I met this unix stuff for the first time in Houdini and you really help me.
691 posts
Thanks Jeff!!!
Feel The Knowledge, Kiss The Goat!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandroecheverry [linkedin.com]
http://vimeo.com/lordpazuzu/videos [vimeo.com]
66 posts
May be i'm doing something wrong, but i tried set ../.. to the export prefix or make it blank, but always getting an error message:

Error: Missing token: “{ morzh_geo31/chopnet1/foreach1/Foreach_Iteration”.
66 posts
BUT all is working … Weird …
  • Quick Links