Q about shading

3706   5   1
109 posts
Is there a way to use noise map…node (!?!?) in Mantra Shaders Specular Map?

Currently the only way is to generate first the noise map, write it to file and then load the file in to Specular Map.

Is there a way to do that using nodes?

Noob here so be patient
330 posts
hi , if understood you correctly

you can dive inside Mantra Shader and ..
there should be a Intensity / Amount / Amplitude / or something similar as an input on the vop node which calculates the specularity .

just feed some procedural noise or texture into that input ..

if you need that often , you can elaborate it with more options and later promote its controls on the shader 's ui top level . save it , so next time you do not need to go inside there again .
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
109 posts
ty for the reply - will test that tonight when im home again

I have a 3ds Max background, and there i can place a procedural noise texture (= node) in the specular reflections slot… or any other kind of map for that matter , so i was a bit suprised to see that in the Houdini's Mantra shader, the only default type for the reflection map was file/image.
109 posts
Haa - i think i found it . The world inside the Mantra Shader is a bit scary place tho

Another question arises: if you look the attached file… why scene view is using the green color for the specular highlights and the render preview is using the color from the light? Is the Specular Color used only for preview purposes?

EDIT: Open the SHOP network and change the view to Render view… Houdini doesnt seem to save the desktop with the file

Attachments:
spec_noise.hipnc (900.2 KB)

696 posts
Hi,

If you look into the OpenGL tab in your shader you'll see that the specular highlight is picking up the color from a parameter that you've overridden inside your shader. That's why the render differs from your viewport.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
109 posts
Haa! One mystery solved!

Thank You
  • Quick Links