Troubles with scaling simulation & rendering it

4243   5   1
4 posts
Hey guys !

I am trying to figure out how to render properly a simulation, but can't find any solutions…

I did a simulation ( a dust simulation ) and cached it. Then later, I imported a scene from softimage, and figured out that my softimage geometry is way larger than my simulation.
So i took my import_pyro_dop node, and scaled it up, but the problem is when I am doing that, my rendering time just goes crazy, it slows down a LOT and I don't have that much time…

I tried to scaled down my scene as well, but I have an animated camera in it, and apparently when I scale down a camera within houdini, it just does the same thing with the simulation, the rendering time goes up and up and more…

Do you guys have any idea how I can solve it ?

thanks a lot !
5 posts
What if render scene and simulations in different layers and merge them in a composing stage? Just create a new camera and reanimate it same as the scene camera, but “scaled down”. Or, there must be a way to write a script, that will scale down animation to.

Again, sorry for my English.
4 posts
Hi there !
I don't know how to transfert an animation object to object in houdini.

I already think about this way, my only problem is this camera animation
5 posts
Sorry, Houdini now unavailable for me, so I can't give exact instructions, but.
Idea! You can try to connect channels of “scaled” camera to the channels of original camera multiplied by scaling. Like: “ch(”../origCamera/tx)*0.5". Perhaps, you must do more work, but principle is something like this.
54 posts
I haven't tried it but can you put your camera in a subnet and scale that subnet down? thats a way around it in maya, seems like the same principle should apply here
299 posts
I am fairly certain your problem is your Volume Step Size when rendering. If you scaled it up you should make sure that setting is scaled as well.
Drive, monkey, drive!
  • Quick Links