primitives group moved by particles

3155   5   0
28 posts
Hi,

I'm facing some problems :

i made some primitives groups an created a point in the centroid of each . Now i would like to copy each group on the corresponding point for animate them with some particles ( a little like the primitive sop would do , but whith some primitives groups)

Maybe is there a way to convert a group of primitives to a single primitive (and so , using the primitive sop ) ?

hope i'm understandable

thank you,

sylvain.

Attachments:
primGroupToParticles.hipnc (102.6 KB)
primGrpToPtcl.jpg (89.4 KB)

http://vimeo.com/3dsr [vimeo.com]
789 posts
from odforce:

I would love for sidefx to create a sop that does this. However, most of this functionality exists in the the dop import node. I have a feeling you should be able to hack a solution using this. I did not have a lot of time, but here is a simple example, with many issues. However, it might point you in the right direction.

The idea is to make a “dumb” dop net that just is used to create a position on the objects. These you can later use to transform the incoming groups in a dopimport node. In the example, not everything transforms well, and there are no rotation etc.

Please note the animation of the points is done in sops not in the dop net. you can get the animation from anywhere, for example particles.

Hope it helps,

koen

Attachments:
transform_groups.hip (192.1 KB)

339 posts
Interesting setup koen! Never though of using the DOP Import that way.
I'll just throw my 2 cents in as well since this is one of my favorite VOP trixx.
The important part here is to make sure that your centroid point numbers match the class attribute on the prims. then in VOPs you can pull any relevant attribs from your points and apply it to your prims. Here I pull in P and rot and use them to translate and rotate the chunks. It's kinda like a DIY Copy Sop that puts YOU in control (for better or for worse). You can even do some basic copy-stamping-like things here without the slowness of copy stamping.

Attachments:
transform_class.hip (128.6 KB)

Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
28 posts
thank you , cool technique , very usefull

tjeeds
You can even do some basic copy-stamping-like things here without the slowness of copy stamping.

would it be possible to affect the scale of the geo (for exemple) without being too intensive/slow ?(with a for each, it's pretty slow) any ideas?

thanks.
339 posts
Of course, you just pull the attribute from the points and apply it to the prims before the rotation.

Attachments:
transform_class.hip (150.2 KB)

Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
28 posts
it seems pretty evident now i see the file i m not used to vop , i have to work on it

thanks !
  • Quick Links