Tutorials, new assets, or chat?

8772   8   1
237 posts
OK, kind of a personal preference question here:

When you visit the Orbolt Asset store, are you exclusively looking for assets…or is there a learning component too? Or perhaps a desire to connect more with other asset authors?

I am trying to gauge whether we should spend some more time making assets…or a perhaps we should take a break and prepare a video series on how YOU can make assets

Do we need some more how-to's at the asset store?
Please let me know if you need this or not. Perhaps you've already found sufficient tutorials at SideFX.com?

Thanks

Martin
23 posts
As assets are reviewed for acceptance, Id also think most people aren't going to be new to houdini if they are authoring. IMHO since HDA in general are more of a houdini thing than orbolt specific, maybe just bigger faq section of the differences and caveats from normal HDA authoring. I think alot of the stuff here in this forum and a few other places gathered in the faq with some screen shots would be ok enough for that.

I've been using the HDA mechanism for many years but get caught on a couple of caveats now and again introduced in Orbolt, but when I look search for them I'd rather have a central location than sift through the basics, thats already document.

When Im on the store Im definately looking at assets, after all it is a store and thats the product. I might be looking at other assets to make sure an idea doesn't overlap that I want to author sell, or maybe looking at what out there so next time I need it I'll now what can save time/money, or may be cruising out of boredom/curiosity – but definitely looking at assets and not people.

As far as connecting with offers – this forum seems like a good place for that to me
23 posts
As far as connecting with OTHERS ….
should have been more careful with the spell check
237 posts
Hehe, connecting with offers would make this a forum of another sort altogether!

Thanks for the feedback.
191 posts
… for me it is also a learning component if I have access and dive in into the asset. So maybe it could be useful to mark protected assets in the shop.

On the other side, from unprotected assets I have the chance to customize it for my needs. But, of course, I respect the decision of the authors.

I don't know how much of self made assets where made in film studios. S here is the chance to protect assets but spread it around for other people to use.

Overall the asset experience is great from the your resource.
237 posts
Good to hear.
BTW, we just posted some links on Facebook on building assets. They're pretty good for enriching your understanding of Digital Assets.

Cheers
M
Edited by - Nov. 14, 2012 09:06:05
7024 posts
For the older non-Facebook crowd, will you be posting those here? Any learning material is good!
4495 posts
The posted training is from Digital Tutors, which is of very inferior quality compared to SESI's top notch training IMO. Also only 3 videos are available for free:

http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?vid=6945 [digitaltutors.com]
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
237 posts
Thanks for putting up the link, and I'm glad that you like the SESI material.

I'll make an effort in the future to mirror some of the more informative FB posts here.

M
  • Quick Links