RBD collision with a rising object

2933   5   0
6 posts
Hello every one and Happy New Year!

I am having a problem with RBD Objects laid on a surface. When this surface is rising like an elevator (keyframe), the RBDs don't collide and so don't follow the surface although the surface is pretty slow. If the surface is not rising, the RBDs collide.
I increased the Sub Steps in the dopnet to 8 but the problem remains. I increased the offset surface too in the RBD Object of the surface but it only offseted the problem.
30 posts
Posting an example scene would make it easier for others to investigate and possibly help you
8579 posts
just a guess. but
if you are animating the surface on sop level, it is considered deformation and you need to check Use Deforming Geometry on Static Object DOP (or RBD)
however, if it is just simple transform (no actual deformation) it is much better(faster) to animate your object on object level and check Use Object transform checkbox
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
6 posts
Here is an example.
I would keep the rising surface a dynamic RBD to active/desactive it when needed.
Thanks!

Attachments:
RisingBug.hip (174.0 KB)

8579 posts
you have few options
either use bullet solver
or for RBD solver check either
Use Point Velocity For Collisions
or
Use Volume Velocity For Collisions
or both

but that's only because you have deforming geometry
so if you move your transform to object level, everything would be faster and work straight away since it will use rbd velocity for collisions, see the example

Attachments:
risingbug_fix.hip (545.9 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
6 posts
Thanks for the fix and your explanations!
  • Quick Links