Problem with non-uniform scaling

6051   12   1
6 posts
Hello,

I'm going through the beginner lessons and I ran into this problem where when I try to click-drag on the arrows (the ones poking through the round tips of the pyramid) on an object (like below), the object scales in all directions instead of the axis I'm trying to scale along.

Any ideas what the issue is? Thanks for reading
106 posts
Hey

Don't click on the pyramid. Click-drag on the lines that lead to the pyramid to scale non-uniformly

Cheers
-J
6 posts
Hi jagadeesh,

I tried what you said but it's still doing a uniform scale. Pretty much anything that I click-drag ends up doing the same thing. If I click drag the inner arrows it will flip the object upside down and do a uniform scale as well.
106 posts
That's weird. Can you post your hip file ? Also try to reset your preferences and see if it fixes.
6 posts
Sure, I attached my hip file. I reseted my preferences and unfortunately it didn't fix it.

I did notice something that might be causing this behavior. I notice whenever I click drag anywhere in or near the handles this small gray line appears that grows longer as I drag out.

It looks like it sort of blocks where my cursor clicks on so I can't actually grab the scale handles.

I circled it in green below where I'm trying to drag up using the poly extrude on a face. As you can see when I drag it causes the face to expand out.

Thanks for the help by the way!

Attachments:
box.hipnc (50.7 KB)

710 posts
Are you on a mac? Perhaps with an ATI card? I've ran into similar issues on such a setup.
6 posts
Hi DaJuice, yes, I'm using a Mac. Did you happen to find a solution when you ran into the issue?
6 posts
Any solutions?
710 posts
Hi kingschair,
I don't know any fixes. OSX is not my primary platform but I've encountered numerous problems with the H12 viewports on mac (with ATI cards at least). It's pretty rough. Perhaps H12.5 is different. Or the issue may be Apple's sucky OpenGL support, I honestly don't know.
181 posts
If it's a GPU limitation, you might try a different viewport scene renderer, like the older H11 method. Maybe there's something about your current shading mode that's misinterpreting where you're clicking.

You should still be able to scale non-uniformly by dragging with the middle mouse button in any field in the parameters pane.

Attachments:
viewport.png (10.6 KB)

6 posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I tried the H11 renderer, but was still getting the same issue. Dragging with the middle mouse button on the fields works however, which is absolutely fantastic.

Thanks for the tip Chronon!
1 posts
thanks
246 posts
I'm getting the same issue, and have been since H12 - on a pc. H11 works fine (and every version before that), and changing the H12 viewport to H11 behavior doesn't solve the problem.
  • Quick Links