Performance Monitor and VOPs

2368   2   1
57 posts
Performance monitor is so very useful for optimizing networks. Is there a way to drill down and display the bottlenecks/stats of a VOP SOP or Volume VOP SOP? maybe it isn't possible with the SIMD processing?

If I throw in a node that creates a warning it seems to show all the VOP nodes in the performance monitor and entries for “Generate VOP Errors,” maybe it is recompiling each frame or something, but perhaps gives a general idea of performance.

If anyone knows a simple way to dig deep into the network and see similar performance statistics for VOP nodes that would be awesome.

thanks!
1390 posts
The difference between Sops and Vops nodes is that Vops aren't Houdini's operators per se. They generate a snippets of code, which combined together into a single shader get executed by SopVOP. Without the code profiler you can't tell the performance of them, specially that a single node could translate to many vex commands.

Do you experience unexpected bottlenecks or slowdowns? The environment like VEX doesn't leave a lot of space for hand optimization (it optimize itself well). There are some particular functions known for slowing things down, but algebraically-wise you can't really harm vex.

hth,
skk.

ps check also new stuff:
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.5/ref/utils/vexexec [sidefx.com]
ps Mantra has built-in profiler for surface context: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.5/nodes/out/ifd#id626456 [sidefx.com]
57 posts
Many thanks, Symek, that makes a lot of sense. My particular case is for a volume VOP, just want to see where I can speed things up and whether my logic can be improved. I was hoping there would be something that could assist in a way similar to the performance monitor or mantra profiler. I seem to remember a PQ or sidefx tutorial that mentioned vop order as being important since it affected the way things were executed, but I can't remember it right now.

I guess I can change things around in the volume vop and rerun the sim to see if performance improves.

Thanks for your help and the links!
  • Quick Links