How to export geomtry with a separated pieces

4456   7   0
3 posts
Im really getting to find the answer . or maybe i just doing it worng.
Im tring to fracture a vase and export the pieces into 3DX.
Really, i search all over the net and found nothing …

How do i exporting all those pieces to make after that a simulation??

OBJ: (PRESS ON THE FILE NAME NEAR THE DOWNLOAD WORD)
http://speedy.sh/pnwQX/vase.obj [speedy.sh]

Attachments:
vasepieces.hip (127.6 KB)

184 posts
Hi,

I can't download your hip atm, but what you're looking for is the ROP Output Driver.

Drop one inside your SOP network and drag the node with the geometry you want to export to the SOP Path parameter of the ROP Output node.

You can then render your geometry to disk just as you would render images in the Mantra parameters. Not quite as obvious as File-Export, but as you can imagine, much cooler.
3 posts
But when i import it to 3ds for example this is reading it as one mesh with cracks and i cant do with it nothing because then i need to fracture it again but in 3ds max and i dont want to .

by the way :
how can i make an object that i fractured to break when a sphere for example touching it .
for now when i simulate it breaks when it touch the ground and i want him to break when the ball touch him (like sleeping object)
184 posts
I've not had cause to use Fracture, but there's a parameter in AutoDopNetwork/fractureparms called Impact Group: “An impact with objects in the specified group can potentially cause this object to fracture.” … strongly recommend checking the docs and tutorials on this stuff.

Now, if you're rendering out sequences of meshes to import into Max, you'll get them all clustered together, whereas you need to only display the current mesh at it's appropriate frame.

Paste this into a MaxScript Editor window, save it to disk, and press ctrl-E in the editor window, with all of your imported OBJs already selected – it's important to select them in their ascending frame order: I'd recommend using the Select From Scene picker (h) or a Scene Manager view.

– Set the visibility channel on a range of objects
– so they're only visible on their corresponding frame.

selectedObjects =selection
t = 0

for i in selectedObjects do
(
– check for existing visibility controllers (else max complains)
try (vis = i.visibility.controller.value)
catch
(
print (“No visibility.controller present.”)
vis = 1
)

i.visibility = linear_float()

animate on at time 0 i.visibility.controller.value=0

if t > 0 do
(
animate on at time (t-1) i.visibility.controller.value=0
)

animate on at time t i.visibility.controller.value=vis
animate on at time (t+1) i.visibility.controller.value=0

t += 1

)
3 posts
i tried to break the vase and it worked .
but when the ball impact the vase the vase break and fly away…
i just want him to stand and when its touch it , it will break .
like a bullet through vase.
184 posts
elai950
But when i import it to 3ds for example this is reading it as one mesh with cracks and i cant do with it nothing because then i need to fracture it again but in 3ds max and i dont want to

I've had a chance to look at your hip.

In the voronoifracture1, you'll want to enable Create Output Groups, and add something for Piece Group Prefix, i.e. “Piece_”.

In Max's Obj Import settings, select Import as Editable Poly and Retriangulate Polygons. Do not enable Import as single mesh.

Under Normals, you may want to select Auto.

This will bring all of the fractured elements into max in their named groupings, as seperate objects i.e.:

Piece_0_inside
Piece_0_outside
Piece_1_inside
Piece_1_outside
(etc).

See the attachments.

You'll need to Attach the inside and outside pieces together… I could give you a script to automate this but not all insides have an outside and vice versa, so not something I'll get into this late.

Attachments:
Fracture_Import_Max.rar (241.6 KB)
vasepieces_645_b.hipnc (127.2 KB)

184 posts
The wife's watching Bones so…

Select all your pieces in alphanumeric order as this just iterates through your selection for a matching numbered piece in the next selected object. We could make it recursively compare everything, but maxscript is stupidly slow as is.

– Attaches like-numbered poly object pairs together.

s = selection
t = 1

for i in s do
(
p = s

a = filterstring i.name “_”
b = filterstring p.name “_”

if (a == b) do
(
polyop.attach i p
)
t+=1
)

Attachments:
Fracture_Import_Merged_Max.rar (225.2 KB)

7 posts
Hey there, Just was running into the same issue when I found this thread. I'm wondering where that code would be placed to stitch together the pieces. I'm assuming it's max script, but not sure.
Thanks

(edit_ NM, I figured it out.
Thank you for the above posts, really helped out.
  • Quick Links