POPSolvers in Houdini 13

7424   6   3
11 posts
Hey all,

Im just wondering how you can get an empty pop solver in Houdini 13? Im not finding the one Im familiar with that was in Houdini 12, any suggestions?

Thanks all

S
1391 posts
Popsolver rewritten in the H13 and different to H12.
I think H12 POPSolver deleted in H13 :?
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
11 posts
Thanks for the reply Joker,

In H12 i used once a locator and a curlnoise within the popsolver to create some interesting looks, do you know how i could do that in H13 without an empty popsolver? I was thinking i might be able to merge it over but no luck so far.

Thanks again, appreciated!
S
279 posts
I think you could watch this new tutorial from Side FX about new particles system in H13.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2631&Itemid=166 [sidefx.com]
11 posts
Will do

Cheers!
1 posts
This is a bit old, but I had the same problem. Given the number of tutorials out there, “just use the new system” doesn't sound like much of a solution to me.

After some digging around I found you can create an old style popsolver in 13 if you need one with some Python or Hscript. Here's a Python snippet:

hou.node(hou.ui.selectNode()).createNode(“popsolver”, exact_type_name=True).moveToGoodPosition()

The key is exact_type_name, as the default new solver is called popsolver::2.0.
8555 posts
you can do that without scripting

if you turn on Operator Type Manager/Operator Type Bar to Display Menu of All Definitions
(which is helpful to keep on anyway)
it will show a little bar on top of the properties pane with node type and library dropdown boxes

you can just place POP Solver and then from the type bar saying popsolver::2 choose popsolver to switch it to previous version definition
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links