Blank Value problems in particle properties

1910   5   0
13 posts
Hello!

Im a totally beginner with Houdini so a downloaded Apprentice.
After the first steps i encountered with a little problem that i cant solve.
I created a Grid and apllied a particle system(Source Particles from Geo) to the selected polygons/primitives in SOP level.
My problem is that my Popnet values are all blank. If i manually change a value like Start time or random seed i cant see the proper value its just giving back the “- - - ” value.
If i try to change the values with the sliders i get the same result. Particle behavios are changing if i change values, but i cant read the real values because i geting back only “- - - ” int the value boxes.

I get this problem with the houdini-13.0.260-win64-vc9 version, so i downloaded an older version, but same problem with houdini-12.5.615-win64-vc9

Can somebody help me to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Attachments:
value.jpg (367.6 KB)

7728 posts
I think this is because you're changing values during playback? In the very bottom-right corner of Houdini (next to where it says Auto Update, there is an “interactive” button. Turn this on.
13 posts
Problem solved . Thanks a lot

I swithced the update methods but didn't recognized that button.
Thanks again.

other question: is this possible somehow to install 2 different Apprentice builds on the same time? I want to learn particles from the old tutorials from the tutorial database. H13 particle solvers are a bit complex to me at the start and its hard to find free tutorials for H13 particles, so i want to make the tutorials in H12 or below and compare the results and try to recreate stuffs in H13.
4189 posts
Yes, you can have many builds on the computer.
13 posts
i have 2 installed
houdini-12.5.615-win64-vc9 & houdini-13.0.260-win64-vc9

but they cant run in the same time, because the old license servers. If i try to launch both, H13 wont launch and asks for licens server upgrade . i want to run h13 & 12 at the same time and try step by step follow the tutorials. I know , i know its stupid but i want to see (or experience?) the new and old particle system in the same time.
4189 posts
Nice! Its a good idea to learn to have both version installed.

It sounds strange the license server issue - I've currently H12.5 and H13 open and running on this computer, both are commercial licenses, but I thought that didn't matter.
  • Quick Links