Morphing two .obj objects

5705   3   1
2 posts
Hello My name is Bart and I am new to Houdini, I recently switched over from autodesk Maya to Houdini, and Im very glad with this decision. My first question is this one

Is there a possibility to morph 2 separate .objs? Like I have a cube, and a Sphere, and now I would like to morph the sphere in to the cube. What would be the best solution?
1 posts
You can try creating a box, going inside the box's geometry level and adding a sphere in there. Then using cookie node to boolean the box and sphere together and throwing in an fuse node to connect the points.

I'm not sure if there's easier way to do this as I too am new to Houdini and still learning the basics.
696 posts
You could use the blendshape SOP, but then you have to make sure not only the point count coincides, but also the positions are correspondent.
One way to achieve that would be to place the sphere inside the box and ray SOP the sphere onto the box. Won't always be perfect but depends on how you're going to use this.

Other ways to do the same effect would be using particles, volumes, or fluids but that's for later down the road…

Attachments:
morph.hip (65.8 KB)

Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
2 posts
Thank you guys so much for the responses! Really helps me getting along with Houdini! Tried the blend shape, but the problem is both geometries are completely different, so nothing aligns no certs nothing ). Thats the main problem, its like a tangled up fishing net that needs to bee morphed in to a niche checkerboard pattern net.

Just tried the file “rafaels” sent me. I replaced the cube and the sphere with my own geo, and then the whole pipeline breaks like the outcome isn't what it should be… But I get the idea for what I need to do. (My apologies for my bad english but thats because I'm not from a native english/american country ))
  • Quick Links