Parameters in DOP controlled by expressions

2802   2   0
50 posts
Hi, this is a pretty trivial, but unfortunately I couldnt find any help on this. So, some of the DOP nodes have operation mode, which could be set to initial or always. But what about the rbd fractured or the rbd glue object nodes? If I type a simple time based expression for example for the glue strength, it resolves the proper numbers, BUT the behavior is mimicking a “set initial” mode, i.e. I'm getting wrong behavior. Any insight or suggestions how to resolve this issue?
8612 posts
nodes like RBD Fractured Object are digital assets which have some parameters promoted from inside but not all
so
you need to unlock such asset (Rightclick/Allow Editing Of Contents)
find the original Parameter, in case of RBD Fractured Object/Glue Strength parameter it would be Glue Strength parameter on rbdstate1 node inside RBD Fractured Object and you will see the mode toggle next to it, just change it to Set Always there
then your expression on RBD Fractured Object/Glue Strength will be evaluated every timestep
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
50 posts
Oh, this makes so much sense, thank you a lot!

edit: I modified the otl and set the operation of the rbdstate node to be always evaluated. Then saved it and matched the definition but it still doesnt behave properly Maybe there is something more to be done here, what am I missing… :?

edit2: So, if someone else is digging into this, It seems that the glue object otl uses the rbd fractured object otl . This means that there are two different rbdstate nodes, one in the rbd fractured object (with attribite “gluethreshold”) and second in the glue object (one level above) with also an attribute “gluethreshold” (despite the fact that it IS controlled by user interface called INTERNAL threshold).

edit3:THE_FIX: Ok, this is actually working very fine: Make sure you revert your backup of the nodes. Use glue object and edit only the rbdstate in the rbd fractured node by setting just the gluestrengtht to “always” (otherwise you will simulate some funny rubber-like simulations, because all the geo will slowly translate back to the initial state).
  • Quick Links