PyroFX smoke bug

16591   23   3
39 posts
Hello all. I'm trying to do smoke effect. I've got some result and I noticed that the smoke has bugs. There are “lines” in the smoke. It seems that the smoke move in voxels only to horizontal direction. Does anybody know what it is ?
Thanks.

Attachments:
smoke.jpg (118.8 KB)

606 posts
I've seen that stuff too. I haven't had the time to methodically chase the culprit, but my gut feeling is that it's some of the shaping operators in pyro, particularly I have my eyes on sharpening.
1391 posts
I should check your project ,I should know about your parameters and setup ,Sometimes that's because Pyro parameters and sometimes that's because Render setting ,for example sometimes we have some noise and unwanted event on the Pyro that they solved with Raytracing Engine !

So upload a simple example about your project if you can :?
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
23 posts
To me it looks like an effect of Disturbance.
39 posts
Here is a settings of the solver. I found a video with comparing parameters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGshtSQuxY [youtube.com]. There are a lot of the same bugs when he is comparing disturnace parameters. But disturbance is off in my case.

Attachments:
hou_settings.jpg (142.8 KB)

23 posts
Huh, so it's neither Disturbance nor Sharpening. Maybe Confinement then?
39 posts
Probably. I should check this out.
606 posts
Please do, we'd all appreciate it if you found out the culprit

Btw, are you solving with OpenCL active?
39 posts
Open Cl is disabled. I think that the reason in the fluid engine.
39 posts
I tried to disable Confinement parameter. It didn't help.
606 posts
Sharpening is using the Gas Reduce Local DOP, which works on a cubical subvolume, and that could introduce axis-aligned artifacts - I presume.

“ The neighbourhood regions are always cubic in shape, despite the term radius being used. ”

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/nodes/dop/gasreducelocal [sidefx.com]
39 posts
Yeah but sharpening is off
50 posts
Last summer, when I was exploring pyro2.0 I encoutered the same issue. There was a fix suggestions in THIS http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=133337&highlight=#133337 [sidefx.com] thread, but I still couldnt resolve the issue. I must try again turning off the shaping tab, when I have some free time…
39 posts
Hi xukca. It seem that you had problem with a banding. It's a bit another thing.
166 posts
Hmm I seem to have the same problem as well. No idea what is causing it. Everything except Dissipation under the Shape tab is turned off.
268 posts
Me too - never worked out the problem…. - although I found with motion blur, DoF, and a lens convolve in Nuke, most of that stuff dissapears.
Director @ Valkyrie Beowulf
www.vwulf.com
https://linktr.ee/neilrognvaldrscholes [linktr.ee]
50 posts
maxpayne
Hi xukca. It seem that you had problem with a banding. It's a bit another thing.

Thanks for the replay maxpayne! If this is really a banding issue, what would be a propper solution? I could try playing with the color gradients a bit, but I somehow doubt this alone will fix the problem… Is the only viable option to introduce noise/dither and blur to the image in post as Neil78 suggested?
606 posts
xukca
maxpayne

Thanks for the replay maxpayne! If this is really a banding issue, what would be a propper solution? I could try playing with the color gradients a bit, but I somehow doubt this alone will fix the problem… Is the only viable option to introduce noise/dither and blur to the image in post as Neil78 suggested?

Did you try changing your volume filter from Box to Gaussian, and maybe increasing the size a little bit from 1.0?
(OBJnode ->Render->Shading->Volume Filter)
Staff
809 posts
Sometimes MacCormack advection can cause minor artifacts, so it might be worth trying BFECC advection for density and velocity. It's a bit more expensive but less prone to artifacts. (Advanced | Advection tab)
39 posts
I tried this. Everything the same. no differents.
  • Quick Links