Pillar shatter/ animation collsions - RBD Packed sim

2689   2   1
12 posts
hi all !

I am sparring my time in learning alot with Collisions and RBD sim, with the new h13.

Now wat i am trying to achieve is , i have an animated character which eventually ramms into a pillar, and the pillar cracks , falls down,

i have animated it, cached it, brought into Houdini as alembic file and ropd it again..
all good.
but when i add that as an deforming rbd object and let it collide with the pillar i m loosing my brain there..

the problems are,

its a fractured pillar and brought in as packed geo, if the gravity is on, the pillar just crumbles all the way down …

and another one is, its a huge character with lots of force in action. i cant get that as it hits, the pillar,

i have attached a file and a screenshots of wat i am trying to say!

take a look at it and shed some light on wat mistake i am committing in here
the roped animation is also attached

as a cheap way,i am just turning on gravity on a certain frame , where the character comes closer to the pillar, u can see that in the play blast.. i know i am wrong but i m still learning
cheers

Attachments:
02.png (165.9 KB)
test_1.hip (310.2 KB)
cache_anim.zip (27.0 KB)
untitled.mov (647.6 KB)

Pepe - nansha
8554 posts
hi pepe, it's difficult to say as your cached sequence is just packed alembic which means just one point with path to original alembic file, so without it it doesn't contain anything

but just by analysing your videp it seems that essentially:

pillar crumbles down with gravity because nothing is holding it in place, you may want to add some constraint network to keep it together (there are same help examples for that)

collision with the character seems to be lacking proper velocity data on the character so the pillar pieces don't inherit any velocity therefore just move out of the way
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
12 posts
Hi tamte… hope u are doing great! )

ahhh i get it now, should have loaded as houdini geometry, in the alembic rop,
i get all the points now!

You re right, i did add a glue constraint, and try to break it with a wrangle sop, if the force is greater than a certain value, but i failed there too..

and for the velocity data on the character, i added a trail sop and computed velocity, and tried to inherit point veloicity inside dops , still no luck.
originally in the alembic i didnt have a velocity attribute (

i am working on it anyways tamte..

i am adding the alembic file also just in case it might help me

Attachments:
alembic.zip (2.5 MB)

Pepe - nansha
  • Quick Links