Alembic export

2320   4   2
80 posts
Hi, I am new in Houdini alembic export option and can't really understand where to start. Can any body please give me some outline on how to use it? I want to export my sim to Maya for rendering. Which options will be better for this workflow? Thanks in advance.
Mainly I need a short workflow instruction, hopefully I will manage other things. Thanks again. :?:
Staff
2540 posts
Look for the objects that fetch the sim results (varies on the type of sim).

Two ways to export from geometry SOPs:

The easiest is to use a ROP Alembic Output SOP and append to the SOP with the geometry you want to write to disk. This will write out the geometry as a flat Alembic Archive generally inside a single object.

The other way is to add a ROP Alembic Output ROP in any OUT rop directory and point that at the objects/SOPs you wish to write to disk. This will export an Alembic archive using the full hierarchy.

What exactly do you want to output?
There's at least one school like the old school!
80 posts
jeff
What exactly do you want to output?

Great! Thanks! I am going to work on it. I want to output an object with voroni fracture and mountain SOP with air field. Mountain will target a point SOP and the point SOP has a ramp value.
Pretty basic. Hopefully it will work. Thanks again.
Staff
2540 posts
Should work just fine as this sounds pretty straight forward.

Just a side note, if you want to create two or more alembic archive geometry primitives, you can partition your geometry via attributes.

See the example file for an example as to how to do this. Write out the geometry from the ROP Alembic Output SOP then refresh the File SOP below it then look at the primitive attributes in the Geoemtry Spreadsheet details view to see how the path data was written out. You control the paths by object name and the string name attribute you put on each of the geometries.

I also inserted polysoup SOPs as these will be converted in to Alembic primitives of the same type for even more efficiency. Optional of course.

Attachments:
rop_alembic_output_sop_simple_example.hip (72.1 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
80 posts
Awesome, Thanks Jeff. 8)
  • Quick Links