RBD Fractured Object and Flip Sim

3999   3   0
12 posts
Hello, I am creating a VFX scene that has a big plane of glass that is an aquarium. This glass is a fractured RBD object. I want the glass to crack and have water rush out of the aquarium. I would love to have the feedback force of the flip fluid on so the water will push my glass and it will look more realistic. My problem is the collisions of flip fluids on RBD fractured objects. At first i wanted to created a VBD volume for the collisions but there is no volume sample mode in the options, under collisions, in the RBD Fractured object. Any help would be great. I have hit a wall.

I would like to avoid faking the glass breaking and just having the water go around the objects.
606 posts
Here's a very simple example showing the feedback interaction. I switched from bullet to Houdini native RBD, as it seemed to handle the feedback much better.

Attachments:
ee_flip_rbd.hip (1.6 MB)

12 posts
thank you so much! I think this should do the trick. I didn't think about changing the solver. Is RBD just better suited for the fractured objects?
606 posts
Bullet gave me huge collision forces back to the fluid, I don't know why that was. Also, bullet didn't get any feedback from the fluid if flipsolver was connected after rbdsolver in the merge node - and if flipsolver was connected first then the collision forces were huge.
Maybe there is a proper workflow for bullet & flip, but it was easier to switch to native RBD where everything just worked
  • Quick Links