preferences / hscript

3049   4   1
19 posts
Hi,

are the settings available in ‘Settings->Main Preferences…’ editable with hscript ?

I can't find a command for this, but I surely miss something.
4140 posts
I don't believe so - Prefs are an interface to writing out the numerous config files in $HOME/houdini7.0. Since they are prefs that are typically applied when you start a session, if's likely not perceived as something you want to be constantly changing during a session.

Having said that, many of the things Prefs addresses *are* changable using textport commands - it really depends on exactly what it is you want to change.

I guess the question is: what do you want to script - the creation of config files or the actions the config files cause? If it's the former, I'd approach it from the perspective of managing those config files outside of houdini. If it's the latter, it depends on exactly what you want to alter.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
141 posts
Hi Guy,

I usually run a python/perl script to modify the houdini perferences file. As John mentioned they should be in your home directory.

Cheers,

/Rick
/Rick
19 posts
Indeed, I can deal with preferences files.

However I was looking after a more interactive way to be able to quickly change preferences ‘states’ without having to quit/restart or go in the settings and manualy do the changes.

May be there is a way to force houdini to ‘reload’ and take into account modified preferences files while it is running ?
4140 posts
There's a lot of things you can do with hscripting in a live session, but specifically mimicking the prefs interface? I don't believe so, no.

I would suggest nailing down what particular things you think you need to “hot-alter” and look those up as potential hscript shortcuts. For the most part, prefs are intended to be tailored to a user's tastes or a job's constraints, and starting up houdini is typically a few-seconds affair - never really had a need for this sort of feature.

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links