Changing behaviour of the arrow keys?

5343   13   1
16 posts
Hi,

when you hold down the left/right arrow keys for a moment, the play button is automatically pushed and houdini will keep rolling the frames even if I let go of the arrow key. Is there a setting somewhere that changes this behaviour? I would much prefer that it simply stopped when I release the key.

Cheers!
1769 posts
use the up arrow for start/stop
use the left right arrows for frame by frame navigation
use ctrl+up arrow to jump back to first frame
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
16 posts
Sure, that's all good, but I want to be able to hold down the arrow keys to roll around the frames without Houdini accidentally turning on play mode. It's something I do to scrub the timeline, so it's a bit annoying.

This function seems uncessary as Up already plays forward.

No way to change this behaviour then?
1769 posts
to my knowledge this is not availabe as a unmapped hotkey, maybe with a python script it could be triggered.
Staff
5158 posts
Which platform? Holding Left/Right arrow to temporarily play works for my on Linux Mint. You do need key repeat enabled in order to use it, though.
1769 posts
Hey Mark! Thanks! I did not knew this
4515 posts
twod
Which platform? Holding Left/Right arrow to temporarily play works for my on Linux Mint. You do need key repeat enabled in order to use it, though.

Where is that setting located?
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
Staff
5158 posts
It's an operating system setting, not a Houdini one. So, depends on your platform. On OSX and Windows, it'd be in the Prefs/Control Panel Keyboard settings. On Linux, it'd be in a similar location, varying slightly by distribution.
4515 posts
Ok gotcha. I thought you meant a boolean setting that activates this behaviour but I assume you mean to set these numeric values lower?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/change-keyboard-settings#1TC=windows-7 [windows.microsoft.com]
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
606 posts
I think the original poster meant that repeatedly pressing (or keeping pressed) the forward button (right arrow) will trigger the actual play mode.

I think I have run into that on windows, very sporadically, for years.

There was also this fix quite a while ago, but I think it didn't really fix it for me back then.

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_journal&Itemid=213&page=index&journal=Alpha&view=FULL&logfile=ALL&icon=ALL&version=ALL&buildstart=&buildend=&perpage=20&search=%22run+away%22&find=Find [sidefx.com]
16 posts
Yes, I'm on Windows. I assumed it was a deliberate feature, but maybe it's not if it doesn't happen on other platforms?
Holding down left/right does indeed enable the actual play mode when then need to be stopped by pressing the key again, it's a bit annoying when all you want to do is roll back and forth as you would in any other program with a timeline.
387 posts
It's Windows/os feature.

On Windows 7 go to the Easy Of Access Center, then to the: “Make the keyboard easier to use” and turn off (uncheck) everythink here.

Restart Houdini to see the effect and it should be ok.

This is my settings and it works as should, no continuous playback from holding left/right arrow key.

Attachments:
win_keyboard_annoying_setup_01.PNG (35.8 KB)
win_keyboard_annoying_setup_02.PNG (32.8 KB)
win_keyboard_annoying_setup_03.PNG (20.6 KB)
win_keyboard_annoying_setup_04.PNG (24.1 KB)
win_keyboard_annoying_setup_05.PNG (21.1 KB)

16 posts
All of the easy access stuff was already off, but the one setting that did seem have an effect is the repeat rate in the regular keyboard properties..! Might have been one of the others settings in combination because now I can't get back the faulty behaviour, which doesn't matter

I can see now how the play button lights up while I hold the arrow keys and goes back to “stop” when I release it, so I guess something gets out of sync with that particular Windows setting.

Thanks a lot for the effort you put in!
146 posts
Maybe I have some clues for this issue…

Please, I am running windows 8.1 and Houdini Apprentice Version 15.0.244.16 and I have the same problem. Sometimes the keys works ok (play button lights up while I hold the arrow keys and goes back to “stop” when I release it). But sometimes the play is still looooping after key is up and I have to manualy stop it.

For example now:
- it was working OK
- I have switched to this forum (firefox)
- switch again to Houdini (without restarting) … press right and it is loooping
- somehow then it is OK
- restart Houdini few times, still OK
- then:
================================
- I added new hotkey to the Step Forward One Frame
- NOW interesting: I cannot remove the shortcut, the X button doesnt work
- AND looping again
- restart, not looping
- still cannot remove the new hotkey
- looping, I am lost
================================

I am preparing to buy Houdini and spend the rest of my life with it (and my wife and children and this is breaking my enthusiasm a bit. Please help me.
  • Quick Links