Wacom/Mouse mode and Houdini 14, semi-unusable atm..

8483   16   4
147 posts
Hi,

Is there a way to get Houdini 14 working with a Wacom in -Mouse Mode-?

The mouse is all over the place, even simple orbiting/zooming/moving a scene is going all places.
Clicking buttons or selecting stuff just isn't working. I fear it's the QT/Wacom nonsense all over again :-\

I -truly hate- working in pen mode, so sue me ;-)

But any tips are very welcome, so I can start testing Houdini 14 :-)

rob
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
4189 posts
Wacom working fine on OsX.
147 posts
In mouse mode, or pen mode?

Houdini works fine in pen mode, but I -hate- pen mode… ;-)
4189 posts
Pen mode. All good. Never seen anyone run a Wacom in mouse mode
147 posts
There's always one………

And apparently QT and Wacom still haven't fix the bug going back to 1999.. ;-)
6 posts
There's at least two. I use wacom in everything and always in mouse mode. And, yes… this Qt bug has been the bane of my existence for many years. Not sure if it's still alive in Qt5, but in Qt4 (which damn-near every 3D app is built in now)… my mouse hover data gets offset (+-~400px, ~100px or so) where I expect it to be. And clicks? They just get sent to Valhalla.

(And yes. When H14 went to Qt… I felt like a family member died. Was hoping modo and Houdini were the last hold-outs against Qt.)

—- Adding —-

I can confirm that Qt's own Qt Creator app (it's wierd little pseudo-IDE) which is based on Qt 5.4.0… …clicks just fine with a Wacom Intuos 3 in mouse mode. No hover offsets, no ignored clicks.

So if Houdini ever updates to Qt 5. Things might be fine.
599 posts
jell
(And yes. When H14 went to Qt… I felt like a family member died. Was hoping modo and Houdini were the last hold-outs against Qt.)
You might want to sit down for this one: Modo, at least on Linux, uses Qt too.

No-one sane wants to deal with the crap that is the window manager zoo on Linux. Better leave Qt to take care of all that rubbish.

jell
I can confirm that Qt's own Qt Creator app (it's wierd little pseudo-IDE) which is based on Qt 5.4.0… …clicks just fine with a Wacom Intuos 3 in mouse mode. No hover offsets, no ignored clicks.

So if Houdini ever updates to Qt 5. Things might be fine.
This is fixed in Qt5. Everyone wants to upgrade to Qt5. However, there's no PySide for Qt5, which is currently putting the kibosh on that one.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
6 posts
halfdan
No-one sane wants to deal with the crap that is the window manager zoo on Linux. Better leave Qt to take care of all that rubbish.
Indeed. I'm about to have to deal with that world for some crossplatform internal apps. What will I be using to alleviate dealing with the splinter-ville of *nix WMs? Qt5.

Well, here's to hoping PySide gets updated with a quickness before I consider investing in a deskbrick.

(Feedback appreciated.)
Staff
5158 posts
halfdan

I dealt with that for a long time. On Linux, all WMs seem to be designed by open-source geniuses who are convinced they've achieved the pinnacle of user interface perfection. As such, they all function slightly differently and will never converge. Then they're all based on X11, which is insanity at its finest. OpenGL is a gem of an API in comparison.
Staff
4164 posts
jell
Well, here's to hoping PySide gets updated with a quickness before I consider investing in a deskbrick.

The PySide list has some talk come up once in a while, but the last I heard, Digia doesn't seem to be driving PySide for Qt5, and no other companies have stepped up to fund developer time. No idea when it'll happen, but I don't think it will be very soon with funded developer time (which is what PyQt5 has, since that developer makes money from the commercially licensed PyQt5).
I'm o.d.d.
6 posts
That… is a new special kind of disheartening. So close|so far.

Well. Time to look at one of those ridiculous gaming mice with 37 buttons and built-in toenail clippers.
6 posts
Pardon the bump. I can't do it. Tried a mouse and I just… cannot.

SESI, please please give mouse-mode tablet some love.
7717 posts
The best way to do that is to log it as an RFE.
147 posts
So…..

Another version of Houdini, but the problem is still here with a Wacom tablet in -mouse mode-.
Installed H15.5 for testing, and it's giving me the same pain as before.

Is there -any- timeline when this will be fixed?

Working with a Wacom tablet in -pen mode- is making me want to jump out of a window as soon as I switch the mapping mode….

cheers!

rob
Edited by RobW - May 25, 2016 08:25:58
599 posts
RobW
Another version of Houdini, but the problem is still here with a Wacom tablet in -mouse mode-.
Installed H15.5 for testing, and it's giving me the same pain as before.

Is there -any- timeline when this will be fixed?
The good news is that PySide2 is almost finished, which is the missing piece we've been waiting for to jump to Qt5. However, that is slated for the next major version, unfortunately.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
147 posts
Took a fair time to fix that ;-)

But at least there's light at the end of the tunnel. Until than I ‘have to muddle through’.

Thanks for the answer!

rob
7 posts
The good news is that PySide2 is almost finished, which is the missing piece we've been waiting for to jump to Qt5. However, that is slated for the next major version, unfortunately.
Wow, happy to hear that and thus looking fwd to H16 extra much.

*EDIT* H16 came along and solved this for me, nice!

I'm on Windows & Wacom mouse mode as well, for me it works fine after I restart (or stop-start) the Wacom Professional Service after I've started Houdini. Which is waaay better than being forced to not use a tablet at all, but… say I have ZBrush and Photoshop open at the same time and Houdini crashes – I have to interrupt my whole workflow to restart all three software (ZB & PS do not handle tablet driver resets gracefully) in the correct order (H –> W –> ZB & PS) and get all files reopened and get oriented again. Not fun.
Edited by emllnd - March 29, 2017 15:57:37
http://emill.fi [emill.fi]
  • Quick Links