FLIP collision and motion issues

2468   2   1
61 posts
Hey guys

I've been pulling my hairs out on this one and I can't seem to find the problem.
For the entire day I've been doing nothing but tweaking my source to get more particles.
When I was finally happy with the amount, I let it sim further than 10 frames and encountered the first issue.
For some reason the collision is happening before the particles hit the Volume Limits.
When checking the collision guide, I saw that the collision volume is moved a little in -X direction.
This wasn't so when I started with it this morning. They went on to hit the wall nicely then.
I have no idea whatsoever what I did to change this.

My second issue has 2 parts.
First of all, along with the appearance of the collision issue, the particles seem to get smeared out horizontally when they hit the volume limits.
Then also the particles suddenly come to a halt and drop down as if they have large viscosity values. Which they normally don't.
Again, no idea why this is happening.
Any thoughts about this would be more than welcome.

The second part is that I would like to get rid of that banding/chunking that is happening when the particles are born.
I don't know if it's clearly visible in the image, but the particles don't line up in 1 stream.
I sort of understand where it's coming from, but I can't seem to get it right.

Any help on any of these things would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments:
ZombieHead.zip (1.0 MB)
Zombiehead_CollisionIssue.jpg (504.5 KB)

- A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men.
61 posts
Ok never mind the Volume limits being offset.
I've done a different simulation and I have the feeling that it has nothing to do with my issue.
I think… :?

I've attached another image showing the gap between where it's colliding and where it should collide and the horizontal smearing.

Attachments:
Zombiehead_CollisionIssue_0.jpg (297.1 KB)

61 posts
After fiddling with every setting that wasn't on default, I found that the Particle Radius Scale was causing the strange motion.
Or at least in combination with Particle Separation.
It seems to be back to normal now, but it bothers me that I do not understand why these things have such an influence on the motion of the particles.

If anyone wouldn't mind explaining or just elaborate a little, I would very much like to learn about and understand the relations between Particle Radius Scale, Particle Separation and the motion of the particles.

Thanks in advance!
  • Quick Links