Volume to points

6176   2   2
224 posts
Hi all,

I have a standard volume in SOP with some data in it from a smoke simulation (vel). I would like to create a point for each voxel, and to the copy the voxel data over to the point as a set of attributes.

Is it possible?
Patrick
Staff
2540 posts
Look at the Points From Volume SOP followed by an Attribute From Volume SOP to transfer attributes from volume to points.

Points From Volume SOP will generate points inside a volume at a given separation.

To see what separation value to use, MMB (MiddleMouseButton) on the input SOPs node icon to see it's information. For the volume information, it will list the voxel Size. Use this value in the Points From Volume SOP's Point Separation parameter to get a point per voxel.

You can inherit any attributes from that volume in to the points using the Attribute From Volume SOP. Wire the points in to the left input and the volumes in to the right input. Then choose what attributes you want to fetch.
There's at least one school like the old school!
224 posts
Thanks Jeff for the tip. I explored this a bit. I could not get the Points from Volume SOP to create all the points, so in the end I created a separate set of points with a grid. But at least the Points from Volume SOP helped me to verify I was filling the right volume.

One odd thing - the volume seems to have two layers of extra points beyond the volume box. (This is visible when you invert the points.) Not sure why that is.

All in all, I think it works just fine now. I have attached a v13 file for those who want to take a look how it works. Thanks for your help.

Attachments:
trial_wind_tunnel_pj3.hipnc (602.1 KB)

Patrick
  • Quick Links