Collision Representation Maya vs Houdini

3239   5   1
471 posts
hello guys.
i do same test in houdini and maya about Collision Representation that's Chains Simulation.
i create a simple ring of chain in houdini and then use duplicate node to extend ring of chain.
based on my knowledge i create simulation of falling chain but after that some of ring go into each other!!!
i export this model to maya and run sim without any change in setting and the result was excellent, any ring of chain not go to each other.
i upload both maya and houdini project.
anyone have idea about solve this problem in houdini?
thanks.

Attachments:
Maya VS Houdini.rar (286.8 KB)
Chain Problem Houdini.jpg (89.9 KB)

483 posts
You are using volume based collisions, maybe increase Ofsset Surface or Uniform Divisions in the “torus_object1” object to get more precision?
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
471 posts
thanks for your reply.
i forget to say this test done in H13.
i open project in H14 and in high substep like 50 or even 100 so after that with Ofsset Surface 0.005 have right collision but speed comes down a lot against maya.
483 posts
Hope this is helpy. Increased “Minimum Substeps” and “Maximum Substeps”, “Offset Surface” to 0.008 to cover the chain…
~ > 1sek per frame on my machine

Attachments:
Chain Sim Houdini.hip (233.2 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
471 posts
that's great.
thanks a lot.
471 posts
i have new question now:
i use scatter node to add a lot of point on surface then use point surface representation instead of edge.
in this case using scatter node destroy orginal geo so i use merge node to done that but Houdini DOPS only import chain and point of scatter node not affect on sim!!!!
in high number of rings use edge surface representation really slow down simulation have we way to create good ballanced between collision accuracy and sim speed?
thanks.

Attachments:
Chain Sim With Point.hip (270.6 KB)

• Quick Links