controlled burn

2219   4   2
201 posts
Revisiting an old friend …

I would like to have a line of fuel on the ground that is lit at one end and burns across the surface … from one side to the other. Would welcome any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Rob
Digital Supervisor | Stargate Studios Toronto
702 posts
make a field called fuel, if you use the fluid source to do this dont add any temperature field to it

then make a separate field that is a sphere moving down the line of fuel and call it temperature, you may want to trail the sphere to keep the fuel burning

merge the temperature field with your fuel field in sops and pass that to the source fluid dop

ensure that your fuel ignition temperature is above 0

simulate
201 posts
Thanks sideimjay … I was able to get a bit closer. This whole pyro thing is new for me so I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the terminology & such.

I've attached a quick hipfile. Still feels like I'm missing something or got something setup incorrectly. I'd like the flames to start as soon as the sphere hits the tube but the container is more centred on the tube. Any pointers at this time would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
lineOfFire.hipnc (1.3 MB)

Cheers,
Rob
Digital Supervisor | Stargate Studios Toronto
Staff
2540 posts
Everything is there ready to burn.

Issues are pretty straight forward and have to do with your container.

- the fluid container doesn't completely envelop your fuel source.
Select the Pyro object DOP in your sim network and resize the container to completely contain your fuel and pad a bit.

- The fluid container has resize container DOP set to defaults which resizes to zero because it defaults to resizing on the density field only.
Either bypass the fluid container DOP or add additional resize fields alongside density (recommended). Set the resize container Reference Field parameter to:

density fuel

This will force the container to resize based on density and fuel. Yes that label Reference Field needs to be pluralized as you can list any number of valid fields attached to the simulation object, this case pyro.

If you really want to see all the available fields, just open up the spreadsheet while in DOPs, open up the pyro object and look at all the field data attached.

Resizing on density and fuel make sense in this scene file.

This all worked on your file.

As for objects igniting fuel, instead of manually doing it the way you did, I just add a passive rbd object and set to deform if animated in SOPs.
Then in DOPs, on the RBD object, I simply add temperature to the RBD object using the temperature parameter. Simple and effective.
There's at least one school like the old school!
702 posts
You were 99% there!

I just added a simple bounding object to the temperature sphere and used that to drive the resizer

Attachments:
lineoffire_746_MOD.hipnc (1.3 MB)

• Quick Links