Installation on Ubuntu 15.04

3111   4   1
43 posts
I'm having an issue installing Houdini 14 on a shared Windows drive mounted on Ubuntu 15.04

The windows share is mounted at /mnt/houdini/ and the user I login as has full read\write access to the mount point.

The files install the the share fine, but when installing. I get the following errors:

Installing: Houdini in /mnt/houdini/houdini_distros/hfs14.0.335-linux-x86_64
tar: bin/hmaster-ng: Cannot create symlink to ‘hbatch’: Operation not supported
tar: bin/vcc-bin: Cannot create symlink to ‘vcc12-bin’: Operation not supported
tar: bin/hselect: Cannot create symlink to ‘hescape’: Operation not supported
tar: bin/gstat: Cannot create symlink to ‘ginfo’: Operation not supported
tar: bin/hhalo-ng-bin: Cannot create symlink to ‘hbatch-bin’: Operation not supported
tar: bin/vcc12-bin: Cannot create symlink to ‘vcc’: Operation not supported
tar: bin/rscript-bin: Cannot create symlink to ‘hbatch-bin’: Operation not supported
tar: bin/vmantra-bin: Cannot create symlink to ‘mantra-bin’: Operation not supported
tar: bin/gstat-bin: Cannot create symlink to ‘ginfo-bin’: Operation not supported
tar: bin/hython2.7: Cannot create symlink to ‘hython’: Operation not supported
tar: bin/hython2.6: Cannot create symlink to ‘hython’: Operation not supported

I do not get these errors if I install Houdini to a folder in my home directory, but I would like to install it to the shared location.
43 posts
I have since realised that CIFS does not support symlinks, so I guess my only option is to move the shared folder onto my Linux box, unless there is another alternative that will let me keep the share on my Windows box which I would prefer to do, as the drive the drive the share is on needs to stay in that PC.
43 posts
OK So I worked around the problem by making the shared folder on the Linux box and mounting my windows shares into it with CIFS.

Everything was working fine until today but now the Windows box gives the error “The number of connections to this computer is limited and all connections are in use right now. Try connecting later or contact your system administrator.”

Sending jobs to the Linux box works fine.

Any suggestions?
174 posts
Josh Oram
OK So I worked around the problem by making the shared folder on the Linux box and mounting my windows shares into it with CIFS.

Everything was working fine until today but now the Windows box gives the error “The number of connections to this computer is limited and all connections are in use right now. Try connecting later or contact your system administrator.”

Sending jobs to the Linux box works fine.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you're not using “pro” or “server” windows version… bummer no ?
43 posts
I have Win 7 Pro, and I'm not sure what would be using up any other connections. Afaik there's a limit 0f 20. I only have 2 smb shares on the windows box as it is.
  • Quick Links