create volume from vector field

3013   5   1
3 posts
hey everyone,

I'm having trouble importing fields from dopnet into a sop node.

I've attached a screenshot of my dopnet.

Basically I have a scalar field which represents density and a vector field which represents velocity. I'm using the vector field to advect the density.

My question is – is there a way to fetch the density field in SOP and create a volume with that field so that I can render it? I tried to use dop import and dop I/O and use “emptyobject1” as the mask, but it didn't show anything.

thanks in advance!

Attachments:
dopnet.png (22.2 KB)

Staff
2540 posts
Use the DOP Import Fields SOP to fetch fields from the simulation.

To confirm that you are using the correct simulation object name, MMB on any DOP node and in the second section, look to the name of the actual simulation object that contains the data.

You can also see the exact name of the fields in the simulation object again to make sure you get the correct name for the volume/field to import.
There's at least one school like the old school!
3 posts
thanks for the reply, jeff. I tried to use DOP Import Fields and set the DOP node to be emptyobject1 in DOP, which contains a velocity field and a density field. But nothing showed up in details view. Is there anything missing here?

Attachments:
sop.png (35.6 KB)
dop.png (46.6 KB)

76 posts
The object parameter at the bottom should be set to “emptyobject1” or “ * ” wildcard will work as well
Staff
2540 posts
DOP Import Fields SOP works fine on my end.

Your setup also looks good.

Does the SOP Scalar Field DOP reference a SOP containing a valid volume primitive?

I would ensure that you are actually creating a scalar field called “density” in the SOP Scalar Field DOP's Data Name parameter.
There's at least one school like the old school!
3 posts
I was trying to convert the field into a volume after the import node. It works now after all the other nodes were removed! thank you both.
  • Quick Links