changing shader with light

2782   4   0
15 posts
Hi,

As a small challenge to learn shading I'm trying to do a simple earth planet in Houdini.

It fits my modelling skill…

Anyway, I have 2 maps, a day and a night map, I was just wondering if it was possible in Houdini to group some faces or points by “hit by a specific light” or not, and thus remplace shading by group (if it is a good idea or the good way to do it).

Also is it possible to do a bit of gradient transition between the 2 textures ?

Thanks

Jean-Luc
2537 posts
This would be nice to know how to do this effect in Houdini. I know C4D has some xpresso nodes for handling when a light is illuminating a surface.

Here is a start. Basically I am trying to use a lighting model at the SHOP level to control the bias on a mix colors node. I have taken the X vector out of the direct lighting shadow socket to control the mix. This demonstrates that some kind of control can be achieved but it is far from complete.

I don't really know what math needs to happen to turn the direct lighting model in to a controller, preferably based off the spotlight falloff.

Attachments:
ap_bias_mix_two_colors.hipnc (458.3 KB)
Untitled-1.jpg (150.8 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
387 posts
It's little bit tricky.
You need to put some bsdf to the directlighting and then you can use luminance for masking.

I used custom label to be able to pick lights for masking.

See this example for Houdini 14, pbr.

Attachments:
Lighting_mask.PNG (193.0 KB)
pz_lighting_mask.hipnc (390.5 KB)

2537 posts
Thanks pezetko!

With a little tweaking I was able to create the earth dark side lit up. As the sphere rotates, the correct map is used for the dark side.

Attachments:
ap_pz_lighting_mask_196.hipnc (578.5 KB)
Untitled.jpg (187.2 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
15 posts
Thanks a lot Pezetko and Enivob

I'm rushing to finish a project so I lack time right now but can't wait to put my hands on this to look at how you did it.

Best regards
  • Quick Links