nVidia viewport sluggish after textures applied

1630   3   0
2551 posts
Hi All,

I have a FBX character that I have imported. After assigning a texture map to the character (map is 2048x2048) the viewport slows down to a crawl. I have also added a normal map and a specular map of the same size. Using nVidia 660GTX 2GB card.

So I decide to turn off the maps but they persist in the viewport even after I have turned them off in the Mantra node.

Is there a fix for this?

Using H14.0443

Attachments:
houdini_about.txt (11.1 KB)
Untitled-2.jpg (206.3 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
5161 posts
The easiest way to disable textures in the viewport is to Right Click on the Materials toggle (right toolbar, below the lighting modes, checked cube icon), and turn off the Textures toggle. You can also reduce the size of the maps in the Display Options / Texture tab via the “Limit Texture Size” option. Though it seems odd that a 660GTX can't handle a 2K map on such simple geometry.

The H14 materials don't have the toggle hooked up to the GL Diffuse Texture parameter (fixed in H15's overhaul of materials). You can do this by editing Texture 1 in the OpenGL / Surface tab of the material:
`ifs(ch(“basecolor_useTexture”), chs(“basecolor_texture”), “”)`
2551 posts
Thanks for the info and the mention that H15 has some material overhauls.

I tried re-creating the problem and discovered that the slowdown is not from the textures, but from the lights. Adding lights to the viewport slows it down.

Light sampling was set to hi-quality 32 samples. I lowered this to Normal with 8 samples and get better performance.

The funny thing is I don't remember upping the light samples to 32 under the display options, unless that is the default. I do remember increasing light samples in an OpenGL rop at some point. Is there a “soft” link between the viewport display and the OpenGL rop?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
5161 posts
The funny thing is I don't remember upping the light samples to 32 under the display options, unless that is the default. I do remember increasing light samples in an OpenGL rop at some point. Is there a “soft” link between the viewport display and the OpenGL rop?

No, it uses a completely different (and disposable) view. Maybe you loaded a hip file with the samples set to 32, and happened to save that as the default somehow?
  • Quick Links