measurements in houdini

5081   4   3
8 posts
i am used to modelling in modo which has a nice dimension button, that you switch on to display measurements like a ruler. see attached picture.
is there something similar in Houdini.
also what is the command for loop selection for edges ?

Attachments:
measurement tool.jpg (87.4 KB)

453 posts
Hi,
There is no built in ruler as far as I have seen, but this is Houdini so it,s good practice to try and make one of your own. With bbox expressions you can get the bounding box parameters of your object. Use those to move and scale lines. You will get the lenght of the lines in the process (endpoint-startpoint=lenght of a line). There is also the measure sop that can give you the lenght of a curve…
Oh and you can use the text sop with a channel expression to visualize the lenght. So somethign like `ch(“../line1/dist”)` - dist is the lenght parameter on a line sop. The backticks make the text sop evaluate the script. Use a merge sop to merge everything and tranfsorm sops to move things around.

As for loop selection, you should look into the standard documentation. (It's good practice to get used to doing that.) I happen to know it's in there.
8 posts
Thanks DAsD for the advice.
319 posts
From H14 to select edge loops you do the following:-

1. Press and hold ‘A’
2. left click on an edge
3. Middle click on the next edge in the direction you want the loop to go in
617 posts
you can middle click on the last node, and will give you the bounding box measurement, or you can create your on digital asset.
  • Quick Links