Inset broken??

6068   10   3
166 posts
Hello,

I have issues with the inset on the PolyExtrude SOP. Please see the image. What is the proper way to get a clean inset? I tried both “Average Positions” and “Use Normals”, neither gives a good result. Using Scale instead of Inset also doesn't fix the problem.

I remember having similar issues with the bevel tool. Are these tools completely broken? I consider them very standard and very important for all sorts of (procedural) modeling. Any help is very appreciated.

Attachments:
inset.jpg (156.2 KB)

648 posts
yeah inset has been broken in a number of ways for a long, long time…
the attached pic is from an RFE that's over 5 years old now.

Hopefully it got some attention in H15.
Is it past midnight Toronto time already?

Attachments:
polyextrude_inset.jpg (49.2 KB)

Staff
107 posts
Hello, the Polyextrude Node has be drastically improved in H15, you should give it a try!

Attachments:
Inset.jpg (232.3 KB)

—————-
Scott Keating
Product Designer
SideFX Software
—————-
1743 posts
There's also PolyExpand 2D for more complicated cases of insetting where the result may end up with multiple “islands”.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
648 posts
for beveled corners, it would be nice if there was an option to have the inset transition nicely to their convergence points…

The the green carve node in the attached file simulates the effect.

Attachments:
h15_polyextrude.hipnc (75.1 KB)
Screenshot-2.png (117.5 KB)

648 posts
better illustration

Attachments:
Screenshot-3.png (91.9 KB)

166 posts
That is great news about Houdini 15. I am installing it right now :-)
Staff
107 posts
cpb
for beveled corners, it would be nice if there was an option to have the inset transition nicely to their convergence points…

Hi, when we were developing the new Polyextrude, along with its inset functionality, we were careful to test it against other solutions in order to get as close as possible to an ‘expected’ result.

Is there a particular tool you are using which gives you the desired result? It would be helpful for us to have something specific to test against.

Cheers!
Scott
—————-
Scott Keating
Product Designer
SideFX Software
—————-
1755 posts
cpb

The new extrude, I'm guessing, calculates each angle bisector and creates lines along that. Now, that's both an expected and desired result in lots if not most situations.

What you're proposing could be useful in some situations like your H mesh and I fully support adding an option to achieve that, but it's not going to work very predictably on less “regular” meshes I think. Not that it matters for meshes like that, I'm just saying.
648 posts
The desired result would be to preserve the beveled concave corners of the base curve after insetting rather than destroying them (as with polyexpand) or wrecking the model (as with polyextrude).

Procedurally beveling corners after modeling is doable in many cases (thanks to edge grouping by angle) but not always, as in the case of inset… Unless you do tedious grouping of the difference of pre & post modeling.
648 posts
much better in 15.0.319,
partial, non-intersecting insets can be done procedurally now
bit messy but at least doable.

Attachments:
bevelling.hipnc (67.5 KB)

• Quick Links