Modeling tools drop selection.

6370   23   4
1265 posts
The new Poly Tools are great, but I find it hard to use them in sequence, because my selection means nothing going from a bevel to a PolyExtrude.

Steps to recreate.

1. Create a grid
2. Select some edge loops
3. Apply a PolyBevel and get the amount I want
4. With this selection still active choose PolyExtrude
5. Nothing…it tells me to make a selection again.

This is a workflow slowdown and should be active to use tools together.
Edited by - Oct. 19, 2015 06:50:33
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
1755 posts
Yep, there's no selection after applying a bevel.
Weirdly enough, in the right lower corner, the info widget says ‘n primitives selected’ (even though we are in edge mode) and nothing happens when trying to apply an op.

In Softimage after you apply a bevel, the resulting edges are automatically selected which is useful sometimes, but personally not something I can't live without.

edit: reading up again your post it crossed my mind that you'd like to have those polygons (created inside the bevel) selected? I don't think it's good idea. Houdini does already enough auto-switching as it is. I wouldn't want another, in this case, Houdini to take me from edge mode to poly. After doing a bevel most of the time I remain in edge mode. Don't you?
1265 posts
For hard surface modeling I think it is very necessary for PolyBevel(which does not work on polys) and PolyExtrude to maintain the selection and keep them active for the next operation.

The same goes when switching the operations. Allot of times I would like to make use of PolyExtrude and go straight in to PolyBevel to chamfer the extruded poly. Does not work either.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
1755 posts
Werner Ziemerink
For hard surface modeling I think it is very necessary for PolyBevel(which does not work on polys) and PolyExtrude to maintain the selection and keep them active for the next operation.

OK, please correct me if I've misunderstood you, but when you say “to maintain the selection” you mean: keeping the resulting edges selected after you bevel edges and keeping resulting polys selected after you extrude polys?
If that is the case, then I agree.
1265 posts
Correct. That is exactly what I mean.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
1265 posts
This is how I see it. Keep the selection active for next operation.

Here I am doing an Extrude followed by a Bevel…lovely workflow without having to re-select anything.

Attachments:
Selection_active.gif (1.0 MB)

Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
1755 posts
I know exactly what you mean (I know the gif is not for me), but one would need first to be able to apply a bevel to polys in H first in order to achieve that. Currently you can't - as soon as you press PolyBevel, H starts a pick session because is expecting an edge selection even though the bottom message prompts you to select points, edges or polys.
379 posts
It works for me, unless I misunderstood you.

http://screenpresso.com/=2OBBg [screenpresso.com]
1755 posts
We're talking about Houdini 15 here.
379 posts
O sorry. Yeah that is not good, I agree with you.
1265 posts
ID=71849
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
599 posts
Werner Ziemerink
ID=71849
Yeah, it's not switching to polygon selection, as it should (since polybevel can take points/edges/poly). It's defaulting to the edge selection, which is empty. If you switch to the poly selection, then you'll see it.

Time to smarten this thing up.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
1265 posts
I love this forum!

Glad to know that the new PolyBevel works on polys as well.
Edited by - Oct. 20, 2015 10:49:06
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
678 posts
halfdan

Is there a way to detect what selection mode is currently picked? In Hscript, Python and HDK? So we could switch tool mode? Any examples?

This would shorten the shortcuts list, since yo could have one shortcut for multiple modes and it would call proper tool for each mode. For example, pressing 'C' (Connect) while two polygons selected would call PolyBridgeSOP in polygon mode, AddSOP in point mode while two points selected and maybe SkinSOP in edge mode while two edges selected.
599 posts
mantragora
halfdan

Is there a way to detect what selection mode is currently picked? In Hscript, Python and HDK? So we could switch tool mode? Any examples?

This would shorten the shortcuts list, since yo could have one shortcut for multiple modes and it would call proper tool for each mode. For example, pressing 'C' (Connect) while two polygons selected would call PolyBridgeSOP in polygon mode, AddSOP in point mode while two points selected and maybe SkinSOP in edge mode while two edges selected.

In HDK, it's possible. You can call SOP_Node::nodeSelectionSet() on the display SOP, and on the GU_SelectionSet, call activeSelectionType().
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
1755 posts
halfdan

Cool. Does this mean we're gonna soon have a new bevel or is this enlightenment going the current bevel tool?
Staff
635 posts
McNistor
halfdan

Cool. Does this mean we're gonna soon have a new bevel or is this enlightenment going the current bevel tool?

The new bevel is almost imminent + anything that Halfdan will be improving on the selection side of things. We wanted the new PolyBevel to be ready for the H15 launch, but decided to play it safely and work on it some more.

Cristin
1755 posts
That's very good to hear Cristin.
1265 posts
awesome news
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
678 posts
cb
The new CookieSOP is almost imminent…

Cristin

Cool! Will you sneak it in in some daily build or will it debut in next H version?

halfdan
In HDK, it's possible. You can call SOP_Node::nodeSelectionSet() on the display SOP, and on the GU_SelectionSet, call activeSelectionType().

Bookmarked this to try. Thanks.
  • Quick Links