Fluids settle to low or to nothing

2415   2   1
7 posts
Hi Guys Im a Houdini noob, since autodesk killed my parents softimage.

Im filling a fish bowl with fluid and its colliding with the bowl surface. But when I simulate the fluid drops down to such a low level and Im not sure why……. think my goldfish died

Any suggestions please?

Thank you in advance.

Cloud
Staff
2540 posts
If you haven't checked the orientation of your polygon faces, please do and ensure they are pointing outward and not inward.

FLIP uses collision grids and the SDF calculation will use the primitive face direction to determine what is inside and what is outside. If reversed, your fluid will actually be sucked in to your collider as it thinks out is in and in is out.

You can use the Reverse SOP to simply reverse the faces.

If you have mismatched faces (some pointing in and some out and they share adjacent points/vertices), you can use the Facet SOP and enable the “Orient Faces” toggle first. Check the resultant primitive orientation, then apply a reverse if they point inward.

Note: Houdini has a different handedness than Maya/Soft when calculating face normals and winding so importing models will require a Reverse SOP to properly orient the faces.
There's at least one school like the old school!
24 posts
Did you checked your collision guide? maybe your collision object is too low res that it has some holes. make a sdf inside sop and introduce to you static object as proxy volume and set the mode to volume sample.
Philomath
  • Quick Links