Crowd Sim - Maya to Houdini and back to Maya

3129   2   1
2 posts
What I'm trying to do is send pre-animated characters from maya into the houdini crowd engine – (this seems to work fine with the fbx import) –but then I want to send that crowd sim back to maya for final render with Vray. Not sure if this is possible.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Staff
727 posts
It depends on what kind of format you need the results of the crowd sim to be in for Maya/Vray. For example, if you output agent primitives to Alembic, you'll end up with a copy of the deformed skin geometry for each agent. That may be acceptable depending on how large your sim is - you will end up with a rather large amount of data if you have a decent number of agents. For deforming shapes, you ideally want to just store a single copy of the rest geometry, along with each agent's transforms, so that the deformation can be done at render time (which is what Mantra does). I don't know offhand what kind of support Maya/Vray has for that sort of thing, but you can easily access and write out each agent's transforms to the necessary file format using Python (the hou.Agent class)
2 posts
Thanks cwhite. I'm still researching. I might just bake in textures for those crowd sims and render in mantra.

-mike
  • Quick Links