Bouncing ball collides, then passes through rigid body

1980   5   1
17 posts
Hi, I am a total Houdini beginner, but a long time C4D user.
This dynamics project is my first, and unexpected things happen, the sphere first bounces, on the next fall-down, it passes through the rigid object. Why isn't it bouncing the second time?
The project is attached, any help is appreciated!
-Ingvar

Attachments:
bouncing_ball.png (145.6 KB)
BouncingBall_1.hiplc (265.5 KB)

2624 posts
Hi, See attached.

The reason is your collision object is a thin box and your using a low value ray intersect value, set on the collision tab of your static RBD object. As its a simple box I have simply changed the collision type to implicit box.

For more complex objects you will want to define your collision objects as volumes, which can be done in sops and referenced in DOPs .

regards

Rob

Attachments:
BouncingBall_1_fixed.hiplc (267.0 KB)

Gone fishing
17 posts
Ok, thanks. I think I will use the bullets engine after all. The funny thing is, bullets has the same “flaw” in Houdini, as it has in C4D. One might think that cranking up the Number of substeps value would refine the animation. and it might in some cases. But in both Houdini and in C4D, when this value is increased, bouncing starts to behave weird. Like dropping a normal ball filled with air, then suddenly the ball is filled with led. Bouncing stops abruptly. Happens with a value of 10. At 5, it bounces normal.

-Ingvar

Attachments:
number-of-steps.png (12.8 KB)

2624 posts
Hi, Cranking up the sub steps is not a solution to the problem you are experiencing. If you turn on the collision guide geometry for your box in the the original scene you will see that the box implicit ray value needs increasing to properly define the box. As your using a box , its better to use an implicit box for the collision

Rob
Gone fishing
17 posts
Sorry about the confusion I created!
I am satisfied with the solution you suggested. So far, so good.
But I also noticed that when switching to the Bullets engine, instead of RBD, the problem disappeared. So while at it, talking about the Bullets engine, I thought I could mention this phenomenon about the sub steps.
So my previous post was about “something completely different”, as the comedians Monty Python would express it
-Ingvar
2624 posts
With Bullet, look at the settings for concave or convex , that will help

Rob
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links