Fluid from ALEMBIC object very slow

3487   2   0
34 posts
I am importing an alembic animated character and wanted to emit fluid from the character.

The process is insanely slow….it cooks for at least 10 minutes per frame on a very low rez sim with a medium rez object (maybe 2000 poly's)

playing around with the alembic file, I see Houdini can generate an SDF from the alembic file in near realtime so I am wondering…what is taking so long to cook in this sim…is alembic perhaps not the best format? I have tried importing it on the alembic node as houdini geometry, but it didnt seem to help.

This is using the shelf tool for emit from object…which is great, but hard to diagnose the problem in the network when you are a beginner
15 posts
Unless the object is HiRes, which you are saying is not, the alembic should not be a problem at all.
The problem might be the Voxel size inside DOP or in your fluid source which gets created automatically from the shelf tool.
Make sure those are not too extremely hi-res and you should be good to go.

If you are still running into problem, post a hip file with a locked node and we can help you out more.

Good luck!
34 posts
it appears it is slow overall…

I brought in the geometry with no animation, it was a little heavy…14,000 poly's…I plugged in a poly reduce node and reduced it to about 2000 poly's…

Still takes forever to cook…..

Is there a better way to emit fluid then using the SDF? as thats what seems to take so long cooking.

I am still a houdini newb, but I assume the SDF is generating a volume….but all i really need is particles emitting from the surface. Maybe the SDF is overkill?

The problem is, loosing the network generated from the shelf tools if I have to do it manually
  • Quick Links