Calming down a fluid sim

5103   8   2
9 posts
What I have:
A simple setup, most FLIP settings at default. The fluid comes down like a raging rapid, angry water, agitated water, water out for revenge.

What I want:
Fluid coming down with less velocity, less turbulence–calming, rather like you're at a relaxing day spa…mmm…patchouli…

Does this mean I'd want sheet-like behavior, the crown solver, which is a bigger subject? I hope not.

What I've tried:
Velocity smoothing.
Velocity scale.
Spatial Scale. (This worked to a degree, but I'm loath to use it. My scene is scaled to real-world dimensions).

This would seem to be a fundamental request, which means I'm probably not finding answers because I'm using the wrong terms. Wrangle / VEX solutions are a bit beyond my scope at present. I think this is more about generalities and base settings.

Attachments:
Grotto_Scene.zip (195.7 KB)

9 posts
This is a pretty basic question, I know. General answers would be just fine. I wouldn't bump, but I imagine others might benefit from some insight (unless it's so glaringly obvious that I'm just being obtuse).
2624 posts
Hi,
Your file looks like a hot tub ? If this is the case your hot tub is over 80m in diameter. Houdini works in 1 unit = 1 meter. So all the settings in dynamics work with this in mind.

Rob
Gone fishing
9 posts
Actually it's built to my intended real-world scale in meters, around 60m across.

This is a simplified R&D on a concept I'll flesh out if the sim works properly.

Attachments:
Flip_behavior.png (1002.3 KB)

48 posts
In the Flip SOlver under the volume motion tab try changing the velocity transfer from splashy to swirly.

I think Swirly is intended for smaller scale fluids but it may have an effect on larger numbers of particles as well.

The help file says swirly is intended to cut back surface noise on smaller sims.

cheers
Nigel.
2624 posts
Hi,
See attached, your problem is not solved but it certainly interested me.So I made a simple test scene. I did not it seems like you are not using vdb volumes to act as collision objects. But anyway without any forces I get a totally different feel to my 80 frame sim. The water runs down the face of the drop but then runs on the underside of the static collision geo ! .

I certainly feel altering the friction properties might help of the collision geo.

Rob

Attachments:
flip_simple_v001.hip (1.9 MB)

Gone fishing
9 posts
Regarding the Swirly Kernel, coincidentally, last night I ran across this:

https://vimeo.com/159438315 [vimeo.com]

As the description notes, and probably everyone knows but me, is that this method is built into Houdini 15 as…the Swirly Kernel.

So that solves the noise, but not the initial velocity. Being a noob is so painful…half the time you want to solve things, half the time you want to let it go and hope you bump into the answer later.

CircusMonkey, what is making the fluid stick to the collision object?? It's like a different answer to the ‘honey dripping from the bottom of the ball’ viscosity question I've seen around this forum.
9 posts
Oh, okay, a Drag Force DOP slows things down. I just needed to learn where in the network to place it.

I think this might be a hallelujah moment–remember those?

Drag force, though…it'll reduce the effect of gravity, no? Effectively making the fluid fall more slowly?
2624 posts
I really dont know at the moment, im in work and only have a small window to mess around with scene files, everything is pretty much default , making sure the flip emitter is not using any Vel .

The static object is a open vdb SDF > I would look on the solver or the static object for a friction property. Small tests are the way to go

Rob
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links