Pyro Collision Issue

2589   2   1
7 posts
Hey guys,

I am trying to make my flames collide with my geometry.

I know a solution would be to create a collision field based on my geometry and use gas enforce boundary DOP to make the flames collide with it, as Tamte explained here: https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=32007&highlight=pyro+collision+issue [sidefx.com]

, but is there actually a way to make the flames collide with the geometry using the static or RBD object?

I've done tests and a small cube works just fine, but as soon as i make it bigger, it stops colliding with it. I've visualized the different fields and they all ignore the geometry.

I am trying to understand how this works, so any help is apreciated.
I have attached the hip file.

Thank you,
Alex

Attachments:
pyro_col_issue.hiplc (1.4 MB)

14 posts
Hi Alex,

Lucky for you there is a simple solution to your problem.

One train car works fine with your setup, however if you're using multiple cars it will try to scan all of them in one cook.

If you use a RBD_Fractured_Object node instead you can assign each car to its own group so that Houdini will scan each car independently before it runs the gas solve.

To get this working you can use a connectivity sop followed by a partition sop on your train geo to give it a group per car. Then in your dop network put down a RBD_Fractured_Object instead of RBD_Object and point it to the train geo with the groups. Make sure to set the “Group Mask” to something like car* or piece* (or whatever you named the group) so it will cycle through all groups.

I've attached a working Example File.

Attachments:
pyro_col_issue_FIX.hiplc (1.4 MB)

7 posts
Wow, thank you dnaulin! Nice thing to know!

Now, there's something else i don't understand:

Even if i set my solver engine to Bullet in “Rigid Body Solver” DOP, it only reacts to collision shape settings from RBD Solver tab and not to the settings in Bullet Data tab inside “Rigid Body Solver” DOP.
It's confusing, because i thought that if i want to use the bullet solver, i should set my collision shape from Bullet Data tab and not the RBD Solver tab.
I hope you understand what i mean,

Thank you!
  • Quick Links