objs not showing up in view

26750   31   1
45 posts
hi there,

I can't seem to get objects to show up in the Houdini view after loading.

I tried spacebar H and still nothing,and these are objects known to load just fine in say, meshmixer.

I can get click on torus, cube ,etc. and they show up just fine after I click to place, but that's about it.

P.s.–MMB on node shows all 1.35mil tris are there, so the obj is there, so why isn't it visible in the viewport ? 0-0

ty
236 posts
Try spacebar G. (it will change view to fit geometry selected)

When you middle click, check the x,y,z size. Houdini's default is 1 unit = 1 meter so your model may either be really small or really big.
45 posts
robsdesign
Try spacebar G. (it will change view to fit geometry selected)

When you middle click, check the x,y,z size. Houdini's default is 1 unit = 1 meter so your model may either be really small or really big.

I have no idea how I got this working ,as while I'm sure the model is 1.3 mil tris and is 1sq mil wide & high, doing spacebar G still isn't bringing anything into view,and it works fine in meshmixer and blender.

Yes I'm new to Houdini, but it shouldn't be this hard to import things right

ty
236 posts
If your model is really big (or small) you may also need to adjust the clipping distance for the viewport camera. (press D with mouse in viewport or adjust in camera settings)
Staff
5158 posts
You can also try scaling it down by setting the Uniform Scale parameter on the object to 0.001 or similar value, or use a Transform SOP to do the same to the geometry itself.
45 posts
robsdesign
If your model is really big (or small) you may also need to adjust the clipping distance for the viewport camera. (press D with mouse in viewport or adjust in camera settings)

I just set it to auto, does that work well enough?
I also tried setting manually (right field) to 10000 but still nothing.

I tried .0001 but I still couldn't find it,and their seems to be ( MMB node) 2 children SOP's.

I'm out of ideas and wasting time I need to spend elsewhere.

Anymore ideas feel free,but I must move on for now.

ty for trying but given mesh loads elsewhere its time to move on.
Staff
3455 posts
“1sq mil wide & high”
if it's that big in blender then it will be 100 sq miles in Houdini
scale it way down in SOPs and try viewing it in an orthographic view…

but this begs the question - what are you planning to do with it in Houdini?
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
45 posts
arctor
“1sq mil wide & high”
if it's that big in blender then it will be 100 sq miles in Houdini
scale it way down in SOPs and try viewing it in an orthographic view…

but this begs the question - what are you planning to do with it in Houdini?

I get this in Houdini:

ANOMALY: meaningless REX prefix used

Whats causing that, and is it relevant ?

Why would loading it in Houdini increase its size so much , and if so what reason is Houdini structured this way (or are other apps that far off ) ?

Once the OBJ loads,there is a widget in center of screen, with red ‘balls’ on six sides, is that normal ?

I try to ‘scale’ it with scale button on left side of UI, and while the widgets do grow outwards, it has no effect, so I tried as you suggested, to scale it DOWN, and got this as Houdini crashed:

0x7FFA3CC64450] ANOMALY: meaningless REX prefix used
11992: Fatal error: Segmentation fault
Saving application data to CUsers/g.lee/AppData/Local/Temp/crash.untitled.g.lee_11992.hipnc
Crash log saved to CUsers/g.lee/AppData/Local/Temp/crash.untitled.g.lee_11992_log.txt

———————-

Crash report from g.lee; Houdini FX Version 15.0.347
Uptime 944 seconds
Sun May 15 09:58:26 2016
Caught signal 11

Traceback from 11992 ThreadId=0x000038ac
CURRENT THREAD 14508
+0x531cbd08
+0x5319c0ae
+0x5330b0ef
+0x53bef6af
+0x53bee0c5
+0x53bee1be
+0x53f16520
+0x53f16bb7
+0xf821242c
+0x5b2b8102
+0x5b92c5b4

Any ideas ?

Btw I plan on working on this object in Houdini, in various ways , and deciding IF Houdini has anything specifically to offer me for this mesh.

ty
Edited by - May 15, 2016 13:20:13
45 posts
Also, what is this SOP I keep hearing about. I"ve watched a few tuts and its never brought up.

However, other than scaling via text inputs in property panel (right side top ) or icons far left top, how is this done ?

If via node, I see no way to scale anything after pressing tab, so it seems I'm overlooking it, but I did try.

thx
45 posts
I could still use help with this, where is SOP ?

I've seen no info on it in tutorials, and no one has responded to the error output I sent.

thx
lee
Staff
3455 posts
could you upload the mesh here?
or contact support@sidefx.com and upload it (in NDAs are applicable)?

I'd be more than happy to have a look and see what the issue is.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
45 posts
arctor
could you upload the mesh here?
or contact support@sidefx.com and upload it (in NDAs are applicable)?

I'd be more than happy to have a look and see what the issue is.

TO so much for responding, I would have sent this before now,but I was on the ‘other’ forum not knowing about this new one, hence

I ‘ll alter it to protect my licensing and go from there.

Sorry to have to be secretive, but that’s where things are atm.

TY so much for reply, I'll get right on it.

Cheers

45 posts
Ok weird, I got it that time.

Imported PLY, haven't tried obj, but at least its there

Saw it immediately, then spacebar G.

NO idea what was going wrong before, but we're here (

ty!
lee
45 posts
Sadly back here again it seems.

I“m unable to load most obj's files short of one and I have no idea why.

Is there a triangle limit in apprenitce ? I didn't see that mentioned in the notes for this version of houdini.

It just makes no sense.

Is there something I”m missing that needs to be done in houdini after loading a obj ?

Having a hard time finding a tut for just that, mostly its starting new objects or ‘test’ meshs, all which load fine.

ty anyway this is agrivating and time consuming when I shoudl be doing other things like game development
Staff
3455 posts
did you ever send an example to support@sidefx.com?

what application is making these obj files?
can you export to another format?
what operating system/hardware are you using?
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
45 posts
I can't send to anyone atm :

“ Sorry to have to be secretive, but that’s where things are atm. ”

Please respect that, and I shouldn't need to send any data at all, these OBJ's load in blender, cinema 4d and meshmixer. It makes zero sense houdini can't load them, they are fairly simple meshes considering its only 1.3 mil tri and meshes can typically be 10 times or more that size. Clean meshs I've made sure of it. NOt 100% quad, but clean.

Created in meshmixer, exported to obj format if that helps any.

I can try PLY, but I“m also having trouble with PLY files now though I mentioned earlier I could load one, I guess I got lucky.

Windows 10 64 bit, amd motherboard 3 yrs old, ssd , 8 gb ram, HD 7750 2gb gpu.

I tried everything before needing to ask for assistance and and looked at several houdini tuts on youtube and elsewhere , no no authors seem to be loading files just my luck ( hoping it was something odd I was doing wrong, being new to Houdini).

IF the obj's weren't working in a autodesk app, I wouldn't be asking for help as I would assume its on my end, but I trust autodesk software is written acceptably, hence my seeking aid.

ty so much for undestanding.

PS- I just t ried to run houdini appr. first time this am, and its asking for license, is that a known issue or more likely a windows 10 anomaly.

I also get a error message after loading houdini, something about REX ( in a windows , far right bottom ) saying this:

” ANOMALY: meaningless REX prefix used "

Is this causing houdini to struggle loading some mesh objects ?

ty

Edited by neighborlee72u - June 22, 2016 12:31:08
2041 posts
Maybe instead of the file that you need to keep “secret” you could make a duplicate that is about the same size but with a different objects/s ( content ).

That way if you are having the same problems as the original you can upload it here and one of us can have a look and maybe be able to help you out further.

Houdini is very much an “open ended” type of software meaning you can do the same thing a number of ways.

Depending on settings and how you do it might not cause any problems one way, but many problems another.

Which is why it is very helpfull to be able to upload a file and someone else look at it through another install of Houdini.
Staff
3455 posts
can you use meshmixer to make an example that is smaller and also having nothing to do with your current project - and try that, and upload it if it doesn't work?
I don't think we have meshmixer installed anywhere…I'll see if we can do a test on our end.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
45 posts
BabaJ
Maybe instead of the file that you need to keep “secret” you could make a duplicate that is about the same size but with a different objects/s ( content ).

That makes no sense. Different object/con
BabaJ

That way if you are having the same problems as the original you can upload it here and one of us can have a look and maybe be able to help you out further.

Houdini is very much an “open ended” type of software meaning you can do the same thing a number of ways.

Depending on settings and how you do it might not cause any problems one way, but many problems another.

Which is why it is very helpfull to be able to upload a file and someone else look at it through another install of Houdini.

ty for your comment, but its not just one obj or ply I'm having trouble with its at least 10.

I did try a very small mesh, all quads that Igot from blendswap and it loaded fine , which makes me wonder if houdini apprentice possibly can't handle a mesh that is too large or has triangles in certain arrangements ??

I'll try and alter the mesh keeping its size and see if it still refuses to load, yet loads in meshmixer and send that to the email noted on this page.

ty
45 posts
arctor
can you use meshmixer to make an example that is smaller and also having nothing to do with your current project - and try that, and upload it if it doesn't work?
I don't think we have meshmixer installed anywhere…I'll see if we can do a test on our end.

Yes, I just typed to first responder, and I will do just that, see if it stil won't load yet load in MM.

Just got home and I did think of that honestly, just never got around to it.

ty
  • Quick Links