PolyBevel 2.0 can't bevel Grid anymore?

13363   18   2
4 posts
I'm following a tutorials on and when i use PolyBevel with Grid I can't bevel Edge. Is this a Bug of Houdini 15.5?
Here a picture

Attachments:
Untitled.png (662.6 KB)
Untitled2.png (518.0 KB)

129 posts
so do i
24 posts
Same here! Is it that you cannot bevel points with the new PolyBevel 2.0?

I was thinking we have to install an older version, make a digital asset out of the old Polybevel and import into H15.5, so we can use both… Maybe a cumbersome work-around?
Houdini Indie 18
Win 10 64-bit
1265 posts
That was submitted during beta.

ID: 75446

The old PolyBevel should still be in H15.5. Create a Shelf Tool and call it up.
Edited by Werner Ziemerink - May 22, 2016 07:12:20
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
129 posts
the uvtriplanarproject node in sopVOP also error -H15.5.480
http://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/44429/ [sidefx.com]
24 posts
Thanks Werner.
I made a new shelf tool and called it PolyBevel 1.0 and pasted this script from an older version of Houdini:

import soptoolutils
soptoolutils.genericTool(kwargs, 'polybevel')

Works.
Edited by FakePilot - May 22, 2016 07:41:15
Houdini Indie 18
Win 10 64-bit
603 posts
Sooo..are they gonna fix the PolyBevel 2.0?
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
517 posts
Hey thanks for posting this script! I was losing my mind trying to figure out how I got that bevel to work last time

Edited by peteski - July 12, 2016 21:01:56
1743 posts
Daryl Dunlap
Sooo..are they gonna fix the PolyBevel 2.0?
(Sorry if I'm stealing anyone's thunder.) Support for bevelling points needs more internal testing before it's made public. I'm not involved with it, though, so I don't know when that might be.

Personally, I never managed to figure out how to get the old PolyBevel to do anything I wanted it to do. It always had other things in mind, whereas the new PolyBevel has been pretty nice, though I've only tried some fairly simple things with it so far.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
1265 posts
Is there a way to get around the PolyBevel 2:0 distance lock. (little brown circle lock)

The old PolyBevel allowed you to bevel without this lock up function…it distorted small angled corners, but you can go in and edit them yourself.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
1743 posts
It took a while to figure out what you meant, without an example, but I think I saw what you might be hitting, and bugged the developer who made PolyBevel 2.0 about it. It turns out that it was a relatively easy change, because there was already an option in the insetting part of PolyExtrude to “Use Common Limit”, where if it's on, it'll stop insetting everything any further once a single face hits its limit, and when it's off, it'll only stop insetting faces that have hit their limit.

PolyBevel uses the same code for insetting, so in tomorrow's build of 15.5, it'll have the same Use Common Limit option. Old nodes will have it on, but new nodes will default to having it off, so that, for example, if you have one small polygon somewhere, it won't prevent other polygons from being bevelled. The “Round” mode may produce some strange results on some edges, but “Chamfer” and “Solid” seem okay. “Profile” looked okay too, though there may be some bad cases for it, too.
210 posts
By the way, Point Bevelling is now available in 15.5. It also works on open polygon curves.
1265 posts
WOW! That was quick. Thank you soooo much.

Glad you guys figured out what I was on about. My work around was to use the PolyExtrude with inset. (because of the limit switch).

Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
333 posts
It still needs some interactivity fixes!!!
When set to a shortcut the point bevel does not work interactive. it always asks for a polygon selection in the viewport. Only once you put down the bevel SOP and do a reselect, you are able to select points within the viewport. (tested on linux)

Very annoying workflow breaker.
1743 posts
Take a deep breath. Count to ten. Everything's going to be okay.

Doudini
it always asks for a polygon selection in the viewport.
This was a simple mistake; it was already working in the development build, but when the code for point bevelling got backported, the updated selection binding was missed. In tomorrow's build of Houdini 15.5, you can select points, primitives, or edges when putting down a PolyBevel from the viewport.
333 posts
ndickson
This was a simple mistake; it was already working in the development build, but when the code for point bevelling got backported, the updated selection binding was missed. In tomorrow's build of Houdini 15.5, you can select points, primitives, or edges when putting down a PolyBevel from the viewport.

very cool! Thanks for the info.
1265 posts
Thanks for all the wonderful improvements to the bevel tool. It works really well and the new tick box to only bevel border edges on primitive selection is awesome.

Now on to the PolyExtrude…I have a couple of great ideas to improve workflow.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
648 posts
still getting wrecked geo when beveling a grid on 15.5.560…

Attachments:
polybevel_grid_pts.jpg (42.9 KB)

1743 posts
cpb
still getting wrecked geo when beveling a grid on 15.5.560…
You have Shape set to Round. It looks like you want a Chamfer, but either way, you'll probably want to set Divisions to 1. You also need to turn on Split Over All Incident Edges to get the behaviour you're looking for on the boundary.

That said, surely there's some more robust way of getting that result. This feels like bevelling an octahedron's points until you get a cube, (not supported with PolyBevel, but you can get to a cuboctahedron), instead of just starting with a cube.
  • Quick Links