collision events

2756   1   0
74 posts
Hi all,

I'm discovering DOPs. I'd like to make collision events ( like there is/was in Maya): for example emitting particle upon collision. But i cannot figure how to get or export… data/ attributes like “has collided”/“just hit” like in particles ( do such parameters exist..)
can you use DOP data in CHOP?
Maybe i'm not very clear but the DOP work“flow” isn't to me yet.

thanks.
Staff
4450 posts
My first suggestion would be to check out the help card examples. Look at the Dynamics CHOP (which shows how to extract transform datainto CHOPs, but that just scratches the surface - pretty much any data generated by DOPs can be grabbed by that CHOP). The SOP Solver and Script Solver examples use some of the DOP expression functions to extract impact information, which you can use to do all kinds of fun stuff (not only can you find out if the object has collided, but you can see the position, normal, and impulse size of every collision for that timestep). There are also lots of other DOP expression functions (try exhelp dop to see them all).

If you have more specific questions, please post them to the 8.0 feedback forum for now (until H8 is released).

I hope this helps get you started.

Mark
  • Quick Links